 Licensed / Batman / 19
Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.licensed.batman, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2007 17:02:11 GMT

--snip--

   Batman as a theme in general touches on some pretty dark themes that probably aren’t appropriate for children. I’ve often wondered how toy companies in general can justifiably market products aimed at children based on movies with a clear MA rating (or even PG13) eg. Revenge of the Sith, Batman Begins, Spiderman 3 etc. Obviously I’ve got outmoded ideas about the principles of toy design.

Allister

I don’t think it can be quite so simple though. A lot of films are MA or PG13 (which any child can see if their parents take them IIRC) because of ‘bad language’ or nudity, neither of which are likely to make it to the toy product.

With children’s toys based directly on a single film with an MA rating your argument would stand up but I don’t think LEGO have released anything like this (probably most children’s toy companies wouldn’t because it would be unlikely to profit).

However, if you consider LEGO’s main licenses we have: Batman (most Batman sources are suitable for children eg. 60s tv show, comics, some films), Spiderman 1 and 2 films (PG13 for both films) and Star Wars (I believe these range from G to PG13). In each case there’s a good chance that children from all but the most protected family environments will have seen the films or some related source material.

Tim