 Dear LEGO / 5510
Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2007 20:31:00 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.licensed.batman, Richie Dulin wrote:

   I may be taking this the wrong way, but I think this image seriously detracts from this set, and it’s not something I would feel comfortable allowing children to see (yes, I know they’ll see worse on TV).

I understand where you’re coming from.

But I wonder, where do we draw the line between having fun and addressing every possible concern that could arise? The pirates theme, your theme of choice I believe, has a disgusting and horrible true past to it. There are probably religious groups that abhor the representations of magicians and walking dead in the new castle sets. Almost every lego theme is centered around violence. This is just the way I like it-- liked it as a kid and I like it now. And despite popular opinion I am a well adjusted, morally upright, and successful individual. I don’t believe my steady diet of violent movies, video games, and toys corrupted my views of morality.

I can certainly appreciate your concern, and I hope my disagreement is seen as intelligent argument, nothing personal. The fact is, since your post currently sits as one of the headlines here at lugnet, we’ll likely never see a picture like this on a set again.

Felix