 Off-Topic / Debate / 28481
Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2007 00:35:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   --snip--

   Does that mean you support Court by vigilante and death penalty for thievery?

Okay, I take it now that we have dispensed fantasy and are now dealing with real life situations. Vigilantism isn’t ideal, because there isn’t a standard-- that, of course, is the beauty of Law. The problem comes when the law fails to bring about justice. Put it this way: I am more sympathetic to a murderer who kills in cold blood the murderer of his young daughter who has gotten off in a court of law on some technicality.

I’d be more sympathetic too, but they’re still a murderer.

Agreed. There are still consequences for actions.

   What about someone who has been abused by a partner for many years and lacks the capacity to escape. If they kill that partner in cold blood they are a murderer but I’m pretty sympathetic to their plight. Liberal thinking allows them to get off in Court on occassions whereas Conservative thinking would send them to the chair.

Hmmm. Very broadly speaking, perhaps. But there are plenty of Conservatives who could easily sympathize with the killer in your example.

   As for theives: no death penalty; the cutting off of their hands will suffice;-)

   Do you really think it’s up to the homeowner to decide that the person stealing their tv is going to come back and do it again, next time using violence, and should be killed to prevent that from happening? Sounds like presentience to me which is beyond the mortal ken.

In my books if you kill someone who is not directly threatening someone else you are a murderer and you are ‘evil’. I don’t care if that person has just stolen your tv or not. Even the rather bloodthirsty Old Testament said an ‘eye for an eye’ rather than ‘a life for a stereo’.

I wouldn’t advocate the intentional attempt to kill a fleeing thief.

If you shoot at someone and they die you are at best a manslaughterer and at worst a murderer. The likely effect of shooting at someone is that they will be seriously injured. That’s immoral in my books.

Well, you are certainly taking a risk by shooting someone to merely injure them. The law would assume that you are trying to kill them AFAIK. Now, I assume your statement here is still talking about a fleeing thief, and not an intruder in your home where you feel your family’s safety is in jeopardy, nes pas?

   Incidentally I apply the same rule to people who drive dangerously and kill someone but society as a whole doesn’t punish that sort of offense anywhere near as heavily as I think it should. What do you think about the guy who kills a young child because he was speeding ‘just’ 10mph above the speed limit? I call him a manslaughterer.

I concur.

   How do you feel about shootinging with the intent to wound?

I have minimal problem with that provided it’s reasonable force.

   Guns are all we really have now to stop thieves, and they are crude and don’t do what we necessarily what them to do, but I’m sure that soon we will have weapons which will be able to incapacitate without lethal force. I believe a citizen has every right to zap a fleeing thief.

Zapping is fine by me. So long as you’re not permanently maiming someone for a property crime I’m happy enough to have them hurt a bit.

I think we are pretty close in POV on this issue, Tim.

   --snip--

   How do you deal with people who are good, respectful, kind and have a genuine regard for others but do thinks which you consider to be immoral?

They can think whatever they want! I don’t care.

Damn typos.

No, I wasn’t commenting on your typo. I really meant it. People can think whatever they want. I’m concerned about what they do.

   What about those who do what a lot of people consider immoral, what about those who do what a lot of people think is moral and a larger number of people thinks is immoral?

If those actions infringe on the rights of others, then they should be stopped. It doesn’t matter how many people believe anything. If freedoms are abridged, then that is when action needs to occur (and what governments are for).

JOHN

But not all illegal/’immoral’ things infringe anyone else’s rights. Some examples of activities that don’t harm anyone and yet are banned are narcotics use,

Disagree. Junkies are a terrible burden on society, not to mention the destruction they reak in the lives of their families. I understand that some people are able to use drugs recreationally, but the vast majority of drug users completely lose control and become addicts, and they all but render that point mute.

   bigamy

I would argue against bigamy for legal reasons, not moral ones. It is a clear violation of the marriage contract. As for polygamy; I’m not against the concept per se, I just don’t think it is a good idea for my society.

   and assisted suicide.

This is bad. If people wants to kill themselves, they should knock themselves out. Assisting them is not noble and compassionate IMO.

   Does that mean society at large through the goverment is behaving immorally by banning them?

Societal constructs are the result of the sensibilities of its citizens. In our society, we ban polygamy. Other countries allow it. Fine. Since we are a free society, one can either leave the country, or work to change the society to one’s own liking.

JOHN