 Licensed / Batman / 26
Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.licensed.batman
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 04:51:22 GMT

In lugnet.licensed.batman, Ken Dowd wrote:
The TV show is available in 4 DVD boxed sets under the "Batman: The Animated
Series" title and the comics can be had as back issues. As my favorite
incarnation of the 'Dark Knight', I highly recommend them to anyone with an
interest in the Batman mythos.

To anyone who is interested in picking this up, and intends to do so online,
make sure to compare prices between the individual box sets and the full series
pack.  When the last box set came out, I remember noticing that their online
price for the full series was significantly higher than what you'd pay to buy
each of the four box sets individually, and it didn't appear that there'd be a
nice overpack slipcase to be worth the extra cost.  Oh, and also consider just
buying the rest of the DC Animated Universe:

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (one of the two best Batman movies ever made)
4 seasons of Batman: The Animated Series
Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman (the worst B:TAS movie, but worth getting to
complete the run)
3 seasons of Superman: The Animated Series
2 seasons of Justice League
2 seasons of Justice League Unlimited
3 seasons of Batman Beyond
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (there is an original release version, and
the darker Director's Cut, which is much harder to find)

Don't buy:
The Batman/Superman movie (it's repeated in one of the S:TAS seasons)
Superman: Last Son of Krypton (it's the series premiere 3-parter in S:TAS)
Superman: Brainiac Attacks (the cover artwork makes it look like it's part of
the DCAU, aka the Timmverse, but it had a completely new "creative" team and
voice cast, and word on the street is that it sucks donkey balls)
Any of the current Justice League/JLU movies (they're all actually just
compilations of episodes that can be had from the regular box sets packaged to
look like feature-length movies)
"The Batman" or "Teen Titans" (neither of these are tied to the DCAU in any way,
and both are very, very bad)

The one show that's not part of the DCAU that has anything remotely close to the
same feel right now is The Legion of Superheroes (this is the one where a
teenage Clark Kent goes to the future and hooks up with the epynomous team, with
the likes of Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, and Brainiac 5).