 Licensed / Batman / 4
Subject:
Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.licensed.batman, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2007 04:23:50 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Dear Lego and others,

After hearing that Arkham Asylum included two pirate muskets, I raced out a bought a copy. (Actually the last copy at my local TRU).

    7785 Arkham Asylum
860 elements, 7 figures, US$80, 2006
LEGO > SYSTEM > Batman

Looking at the box on the way home, I noted that the contents panel showed the set contained *three* not two muskets! Trés Vool!

But then I saw this picture:

I know Arkham Asylum isn’t a standard mental health care facility by any reasonable measure, but the attic torture room seems to be a bit much. In fact, the guards getting the whip and the chainsaw ready, while the Riddler lies helplessly on the electroshock table, reminds me of some of the Abu Graib pictures.

I may be taking this the wrong way, but I think this image seriously detracts from this set, and it’s not something I would feel comfortable allowing children to see (yes, I know they’ll see worse on TV).

Concernedly,

Richie Dulin

ps. The set really *does* contain three muskets!

Please consider your FUT if replying.

Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
In lugnet.licensed.batman, Richie Dulin wrote:
   I know Arkham Asylum isn’t a standard mental health care facility by any reasonable measure, but the attic torture room seems to be a bit much. In fact, the guards getting the whip and the chainsaw ready, while the Riddler lies helplessly on the electroshock table, reminds me of some of the Abu Graib pictures.

I agree that this image should not have been included on the box...but for an entirely different reason. Look at the set very closely. You’ve got the Riddler, and a cell for the Riddler. You’ve got Poison Ivy, and a cell for Poison Ivy. You’ve got three more dinky cells, and stickers to label them for the Joker, the Penguin, and Two-Face. And finally, you’ve got the Scarecrow...but no cell for him to occupy, nor any labels to designate one of the three mini-cells for him. His scythe is kept in the dry-storage room above Poison Ivy’s cell. There’s a secret rope ladder providing a means of entering/exiting the torture lab without having to go through the main door. And there’s the fact that it is a torture lab. Clearly the designers borrowed a theme from the excellent Batman Begins movie and put Professor Crane in charge of Arkham, ergo it should be Scarecrow, and not the guards, who is torturing one of the inmates. I don’t know that he has ever historically been on the Arkham staff in the comic books (a job with which Dr. Hugo Strange is more often associated), but it is a match that makes perfect sense.

Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.debate
In lugnet.licensed.batman, Richie Dulin wrote:

   I may be taking this the wrong way, but I think this image seriously detracts from this set, and it’s not something I would feel comfortable allowing children to see (yes, I know they’ll see worse on TV).

I understand where you’re coming from.

But I wonder, where do we draw the line between having fun and addressing every possible concern that could arise? The pirates theme, your theme of choice I believe, has a disgusting and horrible true past to it. There are probably religious groups that abhor the representations of magicians and walking dead in the new castle sets. Almost every lego theme is centered around violence. This is just the way I like it-- liked it as a kid and I like it now. And despite popular opinion I am a well adjusted, morally upright, and successful individual. I don’t believe my steady diet of violent movies, video games, and toys corrupted my views of morality.

I can certainly appreciate your concern, and I hope my disagreement is seen as intelligent argument, nothing personal. The fact is, since your post currently sits as one of the headlines here at lugnet, we’ll likely never see a picture like this on a set again.

Felix

Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
   In lugnet.licensed.batman, Richie Dulin wrote:

   I may be taking this the wrong way, but I think this image seriously detracts from this set, and it’s not something I would feel comfortable allowing children to see (yes, I know they’ll see worse on TV).

I understand where you’re coming from.

But I wonder, where do we draw the line between having fun and addressing every possible concern that could arise? The pirates theme, your theme of choice I believe, has a disgusting and horrible true past to it. There are probably religious groups that abhor the representations of magicians and walking dead in the new castle sets.

That’s clearly true, and it’s unfortunate that there’s always somebody eager to be offended by pretty much everything--not that Richie is such a person, but his thoughtful question definitely brings the issue to mind.

   Almost every lego theme is centered around violence.

Also clearly true, and worth mentioning again and again, especially in light of how TLG abandoned their famous “no violence” business model as soon as it started to affect the bottom line.

What’s particularly valuable about Richie’s question IMO is that it wasn’t so long ago that TLG was up in arms about Zbigniew Libera’s “LEGO Concentration Camp” set. After all, the methods of “treatment” now shown in an official LEGO set would have fit very nicely alongside those shown in Libera’s work.

   This is just the way I like it-- liked it as a kid and I like it now. And despite popular opinion I am a well adjusted, morally upright, and successful individual. I don’t believe my steady diet of violent movies, video games, and toys corrupted my views of morality.

Or maybe you’re so totally, mind-twistingly insane that you can’t tell the difference?

Of course, the same can be said of all of us, poisoned as we are by our childhood exposure to these evil violent toys!

Seriously, Richie: this is a worthy discussion, and your concerns have considerable merit.

Dave!

Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
lugnet.licensed.batman, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2007 21:58:03 GMT

In lugnet.licensed.batman, Richie Dulin wrote:
   Dear Lego and others,

I know Arkham Asylum isn’t a standard mental health care facility by any reasonable measure, but the attic torture room seems to be a bit much. In fact, the guards getting the whip and the chainsaw ready, while the Riddler lies helplessly on the electroshock table, reminds me of some of the Abu Graib pictures.

I may be taking this the wrong way, but I think this image seriously detracts from this set, and it’s not something I would feel comfortable allowing children to see (yes, I know they’ll see worse on TV).

This kinda reminds me of the recall several years ago:

http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=1304

Russell

Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
   In lugnet.licensed.batman, Richie Dulin wrote:

   I may be taking this the wrong way, but I think this image seriously detracts from this set, and it’s not something I would feel comfortable allowing children to see (yes, I know they’ll see worse on TV).

I understand where you’re coming from.

But I wonder, where do we draw the line between having fun and addressing every possible concern that could arise? The pirates theme, your theme of choice I believe, has a disgusting and horrible true past to it.

It certainly does, though it’s not something I choose to portray in my pirate MOCs and not something that LEGO has chosen to portray in its sets (beyond prison cells, and planks for walking. Oh, and I once built a guillotine).

   There are probably religious groups that abhor the representations of magicians and walking dead in the new castle sets. Almost every lego theme is centered around violence. This is just the way I like it-- liked it as a kid and I like it now. And despite popular opinion I am a well adjusted, morally upright, and successful individual. I don’t believe my steady diet of violent movies, video games, and toys corrupted my views of morality.

Conflict is central to drama. Sometimes that conflict is violent. But I think there is a difference between a swordfight between the forces of good and evil (or ships exchanging broadsides, or X-wings and Tie Fighters dogfighting) and strapping someone down on a table to torture them. Exactly where the difference lies is hard to identify; but it’s just not the same in my book.

Maybe the difference is this: A pirate ship without cannon is not a plausible pirate ship (more or less), but an Arkham Asylum without an attic torture chamber, would still be an entirely adequate Arkham Asylum.

   I can certainly appreciate your concern, and I hope my disagreement is seen as intelligent argument, nothing personal. The fact is, since your post currently sits as one of the headlines here at lugnet, we’ll likely never see a picture like this on a set again.

Felix

I’m not sure that merely getting a post to the LUGNET headlines can/does/should influence LEGO policy, but I do hope that the policy does change.

Cheers

Richie Dulin

Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
   I’m not sure that merely getting a post to the LUGNET headlines can/does/should influence LEGO policy, but I do hope that the policy does change.

I guess I was using your opinion and those that spotlighted it as a barometer for what the public is thinking. Its usually safe to assume that if someone has a mild discomfort towards something, someone somewhere is up in arms about it.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Felix Greco wrote:

   I’m not sure that merely getting a post to the LUGNET headlines can/does/should influence LEGO policy, but I do hope that the policy does change.

I guess I was using your opinion and those that spotlighted it as a barometer for what the public is thinking. Its usually safe to assume that if someone has a mild discomfort towards something, someone somewhere is up in arms about it.

I remember a time when there were no weapons in the sets. There were pieces that you could pretend were lasers in the space sets. It was a gentler time then I quess. But I do remember that lego made a plastic toy gun at one time, perhaps testing the waters. There was also a Lego lighter and the Cigretten bricks. Who knows. John P

Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
In lugnet.licensed.batman, Richie Dulin wrote:
   I know Arkham Asylum isn’t a standard mental health care facility by any reasonable measure, but the attic torture room seems to be a bit much. In fact, the guards getting the whip and the chainsaw ready, while the Riddler lies helplessly on the electroshock table, reminds me of some of the Abu Graib pictures.

I know it’s not any more comforting, but the chainsaw, and other power tools, seem to be considered standard medical equipment LEGO, as featured in the hospital (use the spin function - it’s on the upper floor).

It frightens me more in a hospital, especially if someone were to change the doctor’s head.

In lugnet.licensed.batman, David Laswell wrote:

[...]

Wow--all else being equal, that’s a fantastic piece of analysis. Nicely done!

Dave!

[...]

What, the Scarecrow can’t have henchmen? You can’t run a supervillain lockup single-handedly. Not if you want to do a good job of it...

Steve

In lugnet.licensed.batman, Steve Bliss wrote:
   What, the Scarecrow can’t have henchmen? You can’t run a supervillain lockup single-handedly. Not if you want to do a good job of it...

Of course he can have henchmen, but there’s a clear pattern of having the henchmen dress in such a way as to make their employer more-or-less identifiable. Joker’s guy has a dark-purple shirt, Two-Face’s guy has a white/black shirt, and Mr. Freeze’s guy has a blue shirt. And The Penguin’s henchmen are psychotic penguins with guns. I’m guessing Riddler’s will have green shirts, Poison Ivy’s will have green faces, neither Catwoman nor Croc will get any henchmen, and that just leaves the upcoming Bane. The Scarecrow’s henchmen should be wearing brown shirts to fit that theme, plus there’s still the fact that there’s a secret rope ladder in the torture lab. If all the guards at Arkham (all both of them...) are in on his secret, there’s not much need for being able to sneak in and out in the Scarecrow costume. It should just be business as usual, with a, “How are you doing, Boss?” on the way in, and a, “See you in a few hours, your Evil Overlordness,” on the way out. And besides, how many evil overlords let their goons have at the prisoners without at least being there to watch, much less join in on the fun?

Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.