 Off-Topic / Debate / 28478
Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2007 19:03:53 GMT

--snip--

   Crossing between reality and fiction, I’ve never been able to reconcile this--I saw Star Wars when I was 10. Darth was tall, black and evil--he kills people by crushing their necks and he blows up planets. And then in ‘Return of the Jedi’, I’m suppose to feel sympathy for him ‘cause he saves his kid and, in the process dies himself? Futhermore, what are we to think of regarding ‘cute little Anakin’ in Episode 1 of Star Wars? Here he’s all cute and worried about mommy and the like, when we, the viewers, *know* he’s going to grow up and become Darth Vader--killer of people and planets.

This is precisely the crap that the liberal minds likes to project-- confusing the lines between good and evil to the point where the two are barely distinguishable.

No, that’s just reality. It’s just that liberal minds take a bit more effort to take it into consideration.

   Maybe. But you have to consider the possibility that there is a good chance that these criminals will strike again, with a less than favorable outcome for the innocent.

Does that mean you support Court by vigilante and death penalty for thievery? Do you really think it’s up to the homeowner to decide that the person stealing their tv is going to come back and do it again, next time using violence, and should be killed to prevent that from happening? Sounds like presentience to me which is beyond the mortal ken.

In my books if you kill someone who is not directly threatening someone else you are a murderer and you are ‘evil’. I don’t care if that person has just stolen your tv or not. Even the rather bloodthirsty Old Testament said an ‘eye for an eye’ rather than ‘a life for a stereo’.

   Of course the world is gray and nobody’s perfect; but that doesn’t mean our standards should be gray. We should always be striving for white, which, in part, means eschewing black. We cannot cross a divide while still keeping a foot on both sides.

I am questioning those whose intent isn’t to strive for good, but to explore and dwell in black. These are the people who make the world worse for everyone else. Good people are respectful, kind, and have genuine regard for others. Bad people don’t; they are basically selfish. And I’d go so far as to say that good people are happy people, and selfish people aren’t. That may seem simplistic, but not everything is rocket science:-)

How do you deal with people who are good, respectful, kind and have a genuine regard for others but do thinks which you consider to be immoral? What about those who do what a lot of people consider immoral, what about those who do what a lot of people think is moral and a larger number of people thinks is immoral?

   Even what’s-his-name from Ontario could speak a good line--he managed to convince someone to marry him and he was a pretty good talker. And, as stated, he did have friends and family who wondered what became of that ‘cute kid’ they remembered.

Yes there are degrees and yes people should be held accountable for their actions. In the process of holding people accountable, we must be careful to not become that which we’re fighting against. I think Neitzche said something like that.

Yes, we need to choose our battles wisely.

Neitzsche: God is dead. God: Neitzsche is dead.

:-)

JOHN