 Off-Topic / Debate / 28485
Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2007 20:39:21 GMT

   The reason it’s more sophisticated (which, in this context, implies only complexity rather than an objectively “better” or “worse” aesthetic sensibility) because it requires the viewer to make achieve more complicated degree of pathos. Sympathizing with an innocent victim is sort of easy because we’re culturally programmed to do so (“women and children first,” etc.) In western culture, at least, it’s basically the default position.

Hold on right there! I wonder why that is the case! And I certainly don’t believe it is by Cawinkydink. And if it is so easy, than why would it be restricted to our culture? I believe we worked hard for that to be our “default position”-- it is a product of the Enlightenment.

It is, as Dave suggested, an entirely cultural notion. Look to untamed nature to see the natural “might makes right” position, where the strongest (whether it be physically, or in terms of mental cunning) survive by killing, maiming, or simply driving off the weaker. If you want a really excellent read on how the entire world came to arrive in its current state (why Europeans conquered much of the world but failed in central Africa, why China formed a rather sizable empire that stopped expanding altogether, how some of the earliest adopters of technology ended up living in one of the most primitive cultures in the world, and why it all had to do with simple geography), read “Guns, Germs, and Steel” by Jared Diamond. One of the things he mentions is that when he first began exploring the mountains of New Zealand (one of the few places where you can find indigenous peoples who have not been introduced to modern technology in any way), he discovered that absent of any cultural stigmas to prevent this from happening, when two people who didn’t know anything about each other would meet, they would introduce themselves and try to find a common bond through lineage. Failing to do that meant that one or both of them would not walk away from the encounter. Find a familial tie, and everything was peachy-keen with them, because you don’t kill your relatives. Just everyone else.