 LEGO Company / 657
Re: The sky is *not* falling
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 16:24:29 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Paul S. D’Urbano wrote:

   Thanks Jake!!!

With tough times like these, I wouldn’t blame your company for circling the wagons and not telling anyone a peep about what they’re planning to do. I think it’s great that you’ve been allowed to notify this community of some of what’s going on and give us reassurances about some of our favorite product lines.

I’m sure it’s a stressful time working there, dealing with the uncertainty, etc. I hope things turn around soon and that no more of your colleagues lose their jobs. It’s ironic -- with the fantastic Make and Create products, the NASA products, etc., I was thinking 2003 was one of the best years I can remember for being a LEGO fan. I can’t believe it turned out to be such a bad year for your company financially.

Lastly, I hope that you aren’t disheartened by some folks who choose to respond to your post with more complaints about the color change. I guess some times the people here take for granted the relationship your company has built with our community. I consider you (and Brad, Kate, etc.) to be friends of our community. When a friend of mine is going through a tough time but still goes out of their way to reassure *me* about it, I wouldn’t think it fair to respond with my pet complaint. Perhaps it’s because I’ve been at a company when times get tough and know how stressful and scary it can be. Others may not realize what you guys are going through.

All the best to you and your co-workers...

-Paul S. D’Urbano

Come on! The relationship that Jake’s company has built with this community is a business relationship. TLC is not a ‘friend of mine’, it is one of many businesses vying for my disposable income (and doing a poor job of it lately). What exactly was friendly about TLC suddenly changing colors on us with NO consultation and NO notice (and no mention of the supposedly positive change in packaging or advertising)? That seemed like the cowardly act of an oblivious global corporation, not a friend.

And as for reassurance, the announcement of another fad license doesn’t reassure me in the least. What would renew my faith in TLC is if they reversed the ill-advised color changes, which have angered many long-time consumers but will not generate any offsetting increase in new consumers or increased sales.

The color changes were a decision made by the old, failed management team - why not reverse them now that that management team has been fired? If you are down a hole, the first step is to stop digging.

Marc Nelson Jr.