 LEGO Company / 628
Re: The sky is *not* falling
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:36:14 GMT

This one time, Jake McKee wrote:
In the last few days, I've seen much discussion, and recevied many questions
about the future of the company. As you probably saw/heard, 2003 was a rough
year for the LEGO Company, for a number of reasons. Kjeld has retaken the helm,
and has said that we are returning to "our core".

Rest assured, "our core" simply means our toy business. Which is to say, our toy
product lines present and future.

[Licenses]

Harry Potter and Star Wars are NOT going away any time soon. Licenses are not
going to stop, simply continue to improve. We have to take (and have taken)
steps to ensure we manage the peaks and valleys that licensing brings with it
(Movie years vs. non-movie years, for example). We are still going to be going
after the top licenses with the right brand fit.

In fact, we have announced what I think is going to be a great license today:

<http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/index.jsp?epi-content=GENERIC&newsId=20040112005662&newsLang=en&beanID=202776713&viewID=news_view
Dora the Explorer>

[Mindstorms]

Mindstorms is not going away, but may continue to evolve. Like all technology
products, Mindstorms will continue to grow and improve as consumers gain new
technology knowledge and technology itself continues to get better and smaller.

[WWYM Line]

Another fear I've heard is that the "What Will You Make?" line is going away.
This is not true, and the 2003 product line showed great success and potential.
Stay tuned for more great WWYM products in 2004!

More information will be forthcoming, as the changes progress.

Thanks!¬
Jake¬

Hi Jake,

As always, thanks for keeping the community informed. We can't tell you
how important that is.

I do have a question for you: when will the restructed management address
the color change? I know everyone is grateful for the information you
provide, but this is a pressing issue on a lot of people's minds (and in
my case, preventing me from buying any new sets in the future).

-Anne
--
I always said I wanted to be   (\`--/') _ _______ .-r-.
somebody. Perhaps I should      >.~.\ `` ` `,`,`. ,'_'~`.