 LEGO Company / 667
Re: The sky is *not* falling
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 23:56:36 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Tom Bozzo wrote:
In lugnet.lego, Don Heyse wrote:
So I too have my fingers crossed that whoever's responsible for this
mess got the axe in the management shakeup, and the return to core
values brings a return to the core colors.

Me three.  Good companies can admit and reverse mistakes like this.

You know what I think is really funny about all the griping about these new Lego
colours? As soon as we find out that TLC *does* change its mind, and returns to
the old colours, (and understand I'm not saying that they have or will!)
everyone will scramble to get the few sets that have the new colours in them,
since then they will suddenly become *rare* colours, and hence very desirable.
In fact, I'd predict that the very people complaining about these new colours
will be among those trying to pick them up before they're no longer available!

Also, should Lego go back to the older colours, there will (maybe!) be an
entirely different set of people that will then start complaining about the fact
that Lego has stopped making a great set of new colours, and that they should go
back to making them again.

In other words, there really is no way that TLC can win in this. Saying they
shouldn't have made the change in the first place is irrelevant. It's history.
And no one yet has made a good business argument about why Lego should take the
risk of going back to the old colours.

Lego has introduced new colours from time to time. They've also stopped
producing colours from time to time. I'll grant that up until now these have
been highlight colours, not one of the main palette.

No one's ever complained about past colour changes, at least that I've heard.
Only the fact that you already have a lot of this colour is bothering you. But
it shouldn't!

I've got a lot of the old greys and old brown myself. But personally because I
have so much, it makes me excited about having new colours now! More variation
for my creations! To start with I'll use the new colours as highlights. As I
collect more, I will find ways to mix them. And in ten years or so, when I have
more of the new than the old, I'll use the old as highlights instead. The way I
see it, I can't lose!

--
  David Schilling

(And if I only had a small collection, it shouldn't bother me either. If I like
Lego, it will only be a short time before I have a lot of the new colours, and
again the old will be an interesting highlight to use in my creations.)