 LEGO Company / 660
Re: The sky is *not* falling
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:06:14 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Anne Carasik wrote:

I do have a question for you: when will the restructed management address
the color change? I know everyone is grateful for the information you
provide, but this is a pressing issue on a lot of people's minds (and in
my case, preventing me from buying any new sets in the future).

This is a very, very pressing issue.  And for me, also, it is preventing me from
buying any new sets in the future.

It is disturbing that the excuse used for new colors was that Lego today is too
dark and depressing.  The reason for that is not that old greys and brown were
depressing, but that most sets sold are mostly grey and brown.  Todays sets are
filled with greys and browns (Harry Potter, Star Wars, police etc).  And the new
colors in today's sets add to that (sand red, sand green, sand blue and smoke
clear are all dull colors).

It is no wonder that the average kid's Lego collection today is depressing - but
the solution is to put in more color, not to revise the greys we know which
hardly qualify as color anyway.  Sell more yellow, red, blue and white bricks,
and kids will have colorful collections.  Veneering the problem by changing
color formuations is only driving us away, and will not add any new sales from
other customers.

And please bring back the old greys and brown so I can come back - there are
some great sets in 2004!

-Matt