 LEGO Company / 669
Re: The sky is *not* falling
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 00:52:53 GMT

David,

You make good points in your post.

1. This one is not:

In lugnet.lego, David Schilling wrote:
You know what I think is really funny about all the griping about these new Lego
colours? As soon as we find out that TLC *does* change its mind, and returns to
the old colours, (and understand I'm not saying that they have or will!)
everyone will scramble to get the few sets that have the new colours in them,
since then they will suddenly become *rare* colours, and hence very desirable.
In fact, I'd predict that the very people complaining about these new colours
will be among those trying to pick them up before they're no longer available!

As for me (and i think for a lot of people) you are *very* wrong. Are you saying
we just want a color or a part because it is rare? Not me. I don't care if a
part is rare, i care if it is useful. I don't care if a color becomes rare, i
care if i like the color and i planned to make virtually endless MOCs with them.
And as i said before i don't even like this new colors, so why should i buy
them? For the sake of becoming rare? Give me a break.

If TLC would made this new sets with old colors, i'd for sure buy some of them;
as it is, i'm more into brick bulks rather than sets.

2. This one neither:

Also, should Lego go back to the older colours, there will (maybe!) be an
entirely different set of people that will then start complaining about the fact
that Lego has stopped making a great set of new colours, and that they should go
back to making them again.

Yeah, a "different set" but a *smaller* one don't you think? Or do you think
that this new colors have already hundreds of fans?

And another thing: I didn' saw no one asking TLC to *stop* producing this new
colors. I see people asking for the *return* of the old ones. That's a
completely different thing, wouldn't you agree?

I could live with the two (old & new) colors...[1]

3.

In other words, there really is no way that TLC can win in this. Saying they
shouldn't have made the change in the first place is irrelevant. It's history.
And no one yet has made a good business argument about why Lego should take the
risk of going back to the old colours.

True. But have you heard any "business argument" coming from TLC to justify the
color change?

4.

Lego has introduced new colours from time to time. They've also stopped
producing colours from time to time. I'll grant that up until now these have
been highlight colours, not one of the main palette.

No one's ever complained about past colour changes, at least that I've heard.
Only the fact that you already have a lot of this colour is bothering you. But
it shouldn't!

Ok. The greens changed for at least three times. Red changed also. Pink as well.
As for green, it changed when it was not vastly spreaded. If green would change
now it would cause damages. Pink was rare at the time it was changed (Paradisa
era). I have all of the Paradisa sets and some of them in multiple copies and i
don't have enough pink to make any MOC. Therefore it's not that serious.
Although not pleasant. As for red, the change was for worst (IMO) but almost
unnoticeable, the new play well with olds (at least to my eyes).

If you never heard no one complaing you're hearing now. I've never appreciated
color changes (meanig replacements). Besides, the reason you've never heard, is
it because there was no Lugnet or such sites? Could just be it, no?

5. Hmmm. Almost a good point:

I've got a lot of the old greys and old brown myself. But personally because I
have so much, it makes me excited about having new colours now! More variation
for my creations! To start with I'll use the new colours as highlights. As I
collect more, I will find ways to mix them. And in ten years or so, when I have
more of the new than the old, I'll use the old as highlights instead. The way I
see it, I can't lose!

How will you use bluish dark gray train tracks as highlights on your existing
layout?
And what about all of those parts that will never be rereleased in old
grays/browns and are rare as they are: See this simple *plate* for instance:

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=swanberg&itemID=2037618

Would you believe that this is the only BL store selling it (in new condition)?
Now, what will be the chances to get some more of them?

Hope you understand what i mean. My english is not that good and i try the best
to make myself clear.

I'm glad that you (and a lot of people) will have fun with the new colors and i
understand your points that are valid to you but, not to me unfortunately.

Best regards,

Paulo Renato

[1] I could live without old grays/brown too. I could live without a single LEGO
brick as well. So what? Of course this isn't a question of life/death, but
there's nothing wrong to live the things you like with passion. With lots of
passion. That very special Passion that goes hand in hand with Mind.

--
  David Schilling

(And if I only had a small collection, it shouldn't bother me either. If I like
Lego, it will only be a short time before I have a lot of the new colours, and
again the old will be an interesting highlight to use in my creations.)