 General / 53753
  Problems with Brickshelf?

Just been to Brickshelf and it reports Brickshelf has discontinued operation. We apologize for any inconvenience. Maj still seems to be up Tim (17 years ago, 14-Jul-07, to lugnet.general) !!

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Nice of Kevin to give us some warning. Jeff (17 years ago, 14-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Good job giving everyone time to back there stuff up, Kevin Everyone else, get on Flickr. Brickshelf has sucked since the 90's. (17 years ago, 14-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Kevin's known for taking a good idea, starting something we want, and then abandoning all administration of it. Oh, without passing the torch gracefully. I estimate I probably lost 3/4 of my MOC photos. Aaron (17 years ago, 14-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Maybe it's been hacked? I can't imagine he wouldn't have given people a chance to save their images.... :-( Maggie C. (17 years ago, 14-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Actually, I can - it would have swamped his server, big time. It's gonna take ages to fix all the links on my web pages, and that's even WITH backups of all my pics. And that's not to mention all the links I have to other people's pics... oh (...) (17 years ago, 14-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) I'm glad I kept all my pics--but like Maggie, I have a hard time buying into the theory that someone would just shut 'er down with little/no warning. This has to be a hack job...I hope I'm right about this-- Play Well and Prosper, Matthew "The (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Kevin has almost never communicated with the lego community at all and he's barely updated Brickshelf over the years at all. It looked like it was from 1995. I'm not surprised by this move at all. I'm just hoping it really isn't gone or there (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) There was a (URL) thread> a couple of years ago where there was a suggestion on BS to transfer all your images to Maj as BS was shutting down, so that should probably have been taken as a warning. Kevin hasn't mentioned anything about it (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Well, if I hacked the site, I think I'd put a message slightly more flamboyant than "Brickshelf has discontinued operation. We apologize for any inconvenience". But I am not a h@x0r, so I have no idea what goes on in their heads. ROSCO (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) But would anyone trust another of his sites now? Remember he did the same thing with zerostuds.com - suddenly it was just gone. For a site which he must have known a lot of people check daily and was a cornerstone of the Lego community, this (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) i just sent off an email with the 2 main questions everyone is asking. hopefully we'll get some answers. ondrew p.s. is there anyone who could temporaraly host brickshelf for lets say 2 weeks so people can backup there photos? (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) If Kevin would need Peeron to help with that, it can be done. Keep in mind that Brickshelf proper was a *huge* bandwidth hog - I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was multiple TB/mo. Dan (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Ack! Not a good thread to walk into... ...Unfortunately, it's not just one's own photos being lost (if this is true). I keep copies of my MOC images on CD ROM, and recent ones on my hard drive. But that doesn't save the numerous MOCs of other (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

This is not directed at Tim, but rather some of the whiners that responed to his post above... When I first saw that BrickShelf was down, I was all gung-ho to see what I could do to help bring it back up. As the host for Classic-Castle, I do have (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general) !!

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

Troy, thank you for posting this - much more eloquently than I would have been able to. Dan (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general) !

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Looks like it's gone for good... :( I would happily pay a fee (like the Lugnet $10) to be able to post my photos again, if it meant keeping Brickshelf online. Dan and Jennifer, thank you for trying to find a solution with Kevin. Maybe you guys (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) I second that, Thanks Troy. I would say more, but I am currently busy re-uploading pics for my store. I am also happy to pay for the service brickshelf has provided. I assumed that Brickshelf was part of LUGNET, and that my donation was to (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

It would have been nice if only the accounts of people who didn't donate money to Brickshelf were gone. I imagine that doing that would have reduced the number of files on the site to about 1% of what it was. As a Brickshelf member who donated to (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) It was enough that he had to incorporate the website to even be allowed the option of purchasing the amount of bandwidth that he needed, as the "personal use" chart topped out well below his needs, and they apparently wouldn't make exceptions (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

You and 3/4 of the people on Lugnet. --- Rick (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Pardon me, but if you provide a MAJOR service to a community that a huge number of people use, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER IT IS FREE OR NOT, it is pure politeness and respect to GIVE WARNING BEFORE YOU DISCONTINUE SERVICE. Honestly, to do otherwise (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

Sounds bad. I keep local copies of anything I upload on the internet, but a lot of good stuff on there will have been lost if this is genuine. I don't think it was hacked, as the Zerostuds forum went down the same way last year. The general image (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) **Snip** (...) **snip** (...) Okay, folks-- Troy: Point made. While I am sad that this service has ended, if someone was running it out of pocket, bless them. I do resent being called a vulture, however--I have said nothing against a man I (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX) !

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) If this turns out to be permanent, I am glad that there are alternatives out there. But when I started out here on Lugnet, it was because of Brickshelf. Had I not had a free service with which to use to upload my LEGO related photos, I don't (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) The loss of Brickshelf, even for a temporary period, is a serious loss to the LEGO community. I visit the site every day and depend on it a great deal. Without knowing the circumstances or the facts, some of you have attacked Kevin based on (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) -snip- (...) Well put, Troy, spotlighted. Kevin owes 'the community' nothing. 'The community' owes brickshelf a lot. Cheers Richie Dulin LEGO Ambassador (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) After reading this thread I am a little confused. I had always thought that the ads such as Amazon.com or personal Lego sales such as is on Bricklink paid the cost of these sites like Lugnet and Peeron. Peeron asked for donations to speed up (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) No, Flickr is a load of garbage. It's way, way slower to load than just about any other image-hosting site I've ever used, it has crap size restrictions on the actual image presentations for no reason other than it wants to maintain a "site (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) It says nothing of the sort. As a JLUG admin we had a similar decision to make very recently, and chose the same path. We had no obligation to warn anyone, even though we had a picture gallery with pics people may not have kept a copy of. (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) So how do we fix lugnet post links? Tim (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Although there are many other picture hosting site can anyone recommend a site that will allow you to upload other file types such as Lego CAD files? Tim (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Same as you've always had to do when a site linked here disappeared - repost with a new link, or live with it. ROSCO (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

Hello! (...) I admit it would have been good to get a warning before BrickShelf was shut down. However, I have been using it excessively, all my Lego pictures were stored there for free, and I was thankful that a Lego picture service like this (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) And I hear the 'Invite To Chat' function is going to be ready pretty soon too. Cheers Richie Dulin Stajinaria Community Overlooker (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Please bring BS back - at least in a locked version!!

Thanks a lot for dragging Kevin out of the flames Troy, I couldn't agree more. Now, I don't know what has happened, but we know that BS was a problem for Kevin, and he may have good reasons for not wanting to continue it. However from a (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Please bring BS back - at least in a locked version!!

Thanks a lot for dragging Kevin out of the flames Troy, I couldn't agree more. Now, I don't know what has happened, but we know that BS was a problem for Kevin, and he may have good reasons for not wanting to continue it. However from a (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX) !!

  Re: Please bring BS back - at least in a locked version!!

Sorry about the double post here, Troy's post got me confused about who was actually behind Brickshelf, so please disregard the one above this. Damn I hate that you can't edit your posts here :( Cheers NB (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) That is a very good point. On Brickshelf you could upload CAD files, movies, PowerPoint presentations, etc. Flickr can't do that. In fact I don't know of any online gallery that does. David (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Absolutely. We were all guests at his house, if you will. At some point the party is over and he has a right to turn out the lights and send us home. I see nothing wrong with his decision. I'm saddened by it, there was lots of inspiration on (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Ads dont work unless people click on them. --- Rick (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) the links issue is really too bad, it's a hard reality of internets life. our viclug site has a links and tools page that is heavy with brickshelf links and it won't be fun updating it. there's a large array of folders locally here that are (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Well, the discontinuation of Brickshelf is a big bummer. As people have indicated elsewhere, it has been a major pillar of our AFOL community since the beginning. Flickr Schmickr. What I valued most about Brickshelf is that it was one-stop (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Except that even the worst host would allow his guests to grab their jacket and car keys before throwing them out the door. Of course he was within his rights and of course we should be grateful for what BS was and work to replace it. However, (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) I agree with you with regards to the the one-stop-shop-ness but I'm not sure we are going to see that again anywhere. I would much prefer to use somethng with a bigger user and support base, whose to say the same won't happen to Maj? tim (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Yeah, so maybe our Flickr experiences are very different. I love the site. I've loved it since it first came out. The interface is clean, the commenting and annotation system is outstanding and etc etc etc. It has about a dozen good features (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Troy, something like this doesn't have to be either black or white, one side or the other. Brickshelf can be awesome because it's free and a good resource and it can also suck because it wasn't really ever improved and *especially* because it (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) I'd have to take great exception to this point. I love Flickr. It's an absolutely fantastic. There have been slower periods, certainly, but honestly I've only noticed them pre-Yahoo! acquisition when they were growing in leaps and bounds and (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Sorry to follow-up to my own post (I wish I could simply edit the existing post instead). Forgot to mention that Flickr also has an incredible robust API that allows other sites to tap into the functionality of Flickr with relative ease. Three (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) You expected rounds of applause? (...) The people who used Brickshelf were very grateful for it - at no point, even now, have we become "ungrateful". The whole reason we are angry and disappointed is because it was a site we cared about. Most (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) <https://www.brickshelf.com/ Try this.> Click OK to be able to view it. (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) While I respect the direction you have steered this conversation, I have to say I disagree with some of your comments Troy. First of all, many of the replies here have simply voiced frustration or concern over the possible loss to the online (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) There are two levels: Free, which gives you xxxx, and paid, which removes any and all restrictions for $25/year. (...) There is a fairly easy solution to this: simply set some guidelines for you "tag" your photos. Other Flickr users can also (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Aarg! Must be early... or I must be tired, anyway. I mean to replace the xxxx with the actual details and forgot before hitting submit. Anyway, for the free accounts, you get according to Flickr ((URL) you have a free Flickr account, you can (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

Hendo, I will reply here to your post, but will try to cover everything above it as well. Please do not think that everything is pointed at you. (...) Please not that my original post specifically said "SOME" and not "ALL" replies. I can certainly (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Looks like that one has now been taken down as well. Jeff (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) That hole has apparently been plugged. It was open a few minutes ago, then it was closed. Which means that Kevin is reading this, and this is unlikely to be a hacker attack. Kevin, I think it would be a good idea if you could take a couple of (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

I'm not sure where to post this in this thread, so I'm just going to throw it out there. If anyone here decides they want to take action (as I said, I'm not sure what) to build or rebuild the sort of service we had with BS, I want to make one (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) It no longer works. Clearly, someone is reading these posts and responding by making changes to the site. Kevin (or whomever is managing the site), since you're obviously reading, can you please let us know what's going on? If it's a financial (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Yes, on this we agree! ...And I too was trying to look at all sides fairly. You are right though, BS hasn't been down long and we don't know all the facts yet... And I do thank you and the others who have tried for any effort toward finding a (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) While it may well be true that he is reading these posts, the fact that the hole was closed implies no such thing. As a server admin, he's going to see traffic. When he gets a sudden huge spike in traffic to a site that he just shut down, he's (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Different situation; there were issues beyond your control involved with the loss of data and the lack of backups. In addition, discussion of the situation was out in the open. Jeff (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) I forgot to mention (URL) BrickWiki> is also severely crippled as we were using special templates to link to BS folders and images in a huge number of articles. (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) It is clear to me you have never had to deal with Kevin before. I'm not a whiner, but I know when a battle is lost. (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) There is something I think we all need to think about for a moment- it's still the weekend. If we don't get any word by, say, Monday afternoon then it's off to MAJ, Flickr, or whatever works for each of us. Adr. (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

Hi Jake! Thanks for the information and clarification. (...) Hm, having 94MB worth of MOC pictures on my HD that sounds manageable. Bye Jojo (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Brickshelf used to use real names but there have been some laws passed in the past few years that make that problematic. For one thing, there are laws against collecting certain information online from people under the age of 13. The idea is (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Per the Brickshelf terms of service, still available at (URL) 13. MODIFICATIONS TO SERVICE Brickshelf reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Service (or any part thereof) (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) I'll tell you, I have absolutely zero problems paying $25/year for the Flickr services. I use it daily now, uploading tons of RAW photos at full quality. Plus you get some additional features that are pretty handy. I've been posting the baby (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) You're referring to the US Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). (There are similar things in many other countries, but as I understand COPPA is one of the most stringent, so it's what many people deal with as a default) Basically (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

"Tim David" <talltim@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:JL6w33.4L7@lugnet.com... (...) I've been using imeem to share photos and videos. Here's a sample video I uploaded: (URL) also financially (and bandwidth) stable because they just inked a (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Brickshelf and the AFOL community

For those of you who don't know me, I've been in the AFOL community for a long time. I'm also one of the largest hosters of LEGO clubs and other LEGO-related sites. Most of these sites are donated to help the clubs have an internet presence, Some of (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general) !!

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

As someone who operates a blog (brickpile.com) about LEGO I agree that there is very little revenue from ads. The problem with ads in a LEGO-related site is that there are only so many times people can click on links to legoshop.com and there just (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

I am with you all the way, Jake. I think Flickr is an incredible deal, and one that will probably be around for a long time thanks to it being integrated with Yahoo and with the revenue streams from printing, etc. For $25 a year I can archive my (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) Thanks for the information, Eric. It's hard for most people (including myself) to get a grasp on just what resources are needed to run such a site. With respect to targeted ads, Kevin was using Google Adsense, and I believe (from seeing (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Another thing about Flickr - you can get the Flickr Uploadr program (for Mac or Windows) to do drag-n-drop uploading of images. It's sooooo much easier than creating a zip file or uploading one file at a time on Brickshelf. Also by getting a (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Hum.. you mean you never backed up any of the stuff you uploaded to brickshelf? shame, shame, shame... I backup and make a backup of the backup just in case. Learned my lesson a while back when I lost 90% of my data to 1) Back up WEEKLY! 2) (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) Hmm. If Brickshelf was attracting plenty of money through advertising, why would its owner close it down? Unless we think Kevin is joining a monastery and devoting himself to a life of poverty, that's not rational behaviour. If Bricklink was (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) Or he's focusing his efforts on maj.com, which as far as I can tell is based on Brickshelf's code. (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) As I mentioned earlier, he himself said that he was making a small profit off Brickshelf. I would try finding his post but Zerostuds was only up for around two weeks and wasn't picked up by the Wayback Machine crawlers at all. I can imagine (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) Feeding keywords, in the AdSense context is incredibly ineffective. This isn't a jab at Kevin, simply a bit of reality about how AdSense works. One of the reasons AdSense favors well trafficked blogs, forums, and news sites is that they post a (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

I would like to thank Kevin. Brickshelf has meant alot to me since the nineties as a resource for ideas. I look at brickshelf on a daily basis for inspiration. I'm just not that creative and learned alot about techniques. Lugnet and brickshelf are (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Hey! This is great info! For a while I was planning to just move all my stuff to maj.com but Flickr pro w/ Flickr Uploadr sounds much easier. Thanks. Adr. (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) I just hate speculating in the dark about all of this, but that's my sense. For now, I'm simply going to reupload all of my pics to my maj.com account (which is the same username and password for all former Brickshelf accounts). I just hope (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) What about "hot linking" to a photo in Flickr? I can't find an easy way to do that, and that was one of the things I liked best about Brickshelf. jt (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) That's the dilemma. Easier for the uploader, but harder for the surfer to find. I am too familiar with the Brickshelf/maj model and will stick with it for the time-being. JOHN (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) This is where I think there's a lot of opportunity to create a "Flickr Viewer" app using the Flickr API. You can have the same user experience of fast, LEGO-only surfing and still use Flickr. I'm also not convinced that Brickshelf is/was (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Ok, I found where you can get the direct URL to the image on Flickr, but the rules say you must include a link back to Flickr if you post the URL to another web page. (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) I completely agree with John's last point - I'd hit the 'recent updates' link on Brickshelf a couple times a day. My own biggest problem is that the images I had on Brickshelf are going to be difficult to replace - the computer they were (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) But you are a wiz-kid, Jake, and I am but a simple, old-timer:-) (...) Yeah, that I'll admit, but I never really looked for things past just browsing the recent pages. What I liked was the one-site shopping, and that it was an AFOL site, too. (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) And it appears that the mass migration is on! If you go to maj.com, its recent pages are filled with LEGO MOCs... (...) Doood. Your problem, J-1, is that you are old-school AND net-wiz-bang:-) J-2 (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) Am I the only one that's a bit nervous about about a mass migration to maj.com? If a mass migration happens, the maj.com bandwidth shoots through the roof and Kevin is once again facing overwhelming bandwidth costs. If this happens, does he (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) No, you're not alone. (...) Same here. We're all speculating, and in the dark. Without any word from Kevin, everything is just second-guessing. I would not be comfortable using Maj.com for anything until reading something from Kevin about (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) I also agree until we find out something from Kevin, moving files, correcting links, and stressing over lost pictures is all worthless, we all just need to take a breath and wait to hear something. It is obvious that Brickshelf has evolved (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) A bit off-topic here, but I'd hardly call Flickr a "bigbox". From their earliest days they have been a community oriented company in a way that nearly every other company around can learn from. They built a fantastic tool always keeping in (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) No, it's not just you, Jake. I do it with fear and trepidation. But want to be loyal to Kevin and what he has done for the AFOL community, if that indeed is what a migration means. If we are a nuisance, then I would by all means go to a (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) It took me a few weeks from first hearing the name to figure it out, but it's a trademarkable spelling of the second syllable of the word "image". Not pronounced quite the same, but clearly the source of the word. (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

Brickshelf is back up, with a warning date of the end of the month. Now's your chance, GO! (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Yes, but wouldn't you probably do that anyway? See the way I use Flickr on my blog, brickpile.com, for an example of how it can work well for LEGO images. Flickr is also used widely at classic-space.com. Another nice thing about Flickr is (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Do what? He's only talking to but a few people, and not telling them much. EJP (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Please bring BS back - at least in a locked version!!

(...) First, Kevin, you've cost me thousands of dollars. If it weren't for Brickshelf I'd probably be off doing some boring hobby. Brickshelf was one of the hooks that drew me in and I'm very glad to be here. For this, I thank you. Second, as I sit (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Please bring BS back - at least in a locked version!!

(...) I would be happy if it were possible to buy the entire BS content database on a set of DVD's or something. Does anyone know how much space the entire BS archive is? How many 4.7GB DVDs would it take up? At the very least it would be nice if (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Please bring BS back - at least in a locked version!!

(...) Amen, brother. And I'm willing to put my $$$ where my mouth is, and I have emailed Kevin as much. I thought that it was great that Kevin finally started taking donations, but he ceased it. It is certainly worth $2.00 a month to me to support (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

In lugnet.general, Troy Cefaratti wrote: <SNIP> (...) And so far the biggest whining has come from Troy ...... lmao on the irony. BS was a great service and will be missed, but let's not forget why it was good. It was the AFOL and all the awesome (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) I've decided to start migrating my BS account to MAJ. Fortunately for me, my gallery is pretty small. What is really needed is a migration bot that automates the upload process to MAJ after BSbackup utility has finished its downloads from (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)