 General / 53782
Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 08:24:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.general, Jeff Stembel wrote:
In lugnet.general, Troy Cefaratti wrote:

Do something or quit your complaining.

Pardon me, but if you provide a MAJOR service to a community that a huge number
of people use, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER IT IS FREE OR NOT, it is pure politeness
and respect to GIVE WARNING BEFORE YOU DISCONTINUE SERVICE.  Honestly, to do
otherwise says that you don't give a shit about the community members who used
the service.

It says nothing of the sort. As a JLUG admin we had a similar decision to make
very recently, and chose the same path. We had no obligation to warn anyone,
even though we had a picture gallery with pics people may not have kept a copy
of. That's just the way things go sometimes. Heck, I even helped Kevin with
monetary support on a couple of occasions and I still don't feel I had any right
to expect a warning.

While I will miss Brickshelf as a resource, and just the occasional random
browse, my main issue is fixing my pages that relied on it. But I should never
have relied on it, so that's my fault anyway, not Kevin's.

And like Troy said, the best thing is to do something instead of just
complaining - the JLUG regulars had a new forum up within hours, and chat within
a few days. And people here called them community misfits.

ROSCO

So how do we fix lugnet post links?

Tim