 General / 53839
Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 02:33:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Smith wrote:

For those of you saying that the site had ads (and I do remember the uproar when
they appeared), ads only work if people click on them. Given the fact that the
bulk of the content was pictures, it would be hard to get well-targeted ads on
the pages. Poorly targeted ads = poor clickthrough rates = less money.

Thanks for the information, Eric. It's hard for most people (including myself)
to get a grasp on just what resources are needed to run such a site.

With respect to targeted ads, Kevin was using Google Adsense, and I believe
(from seeing different ads for different folders) he was feeding the folder
keywords and maybe the description text to Google to get better targeted ads.

Advertising services like Adsense can generate pretty well targeted ads, and
although the revenue is less than getting advertisers directly, it is much less
work. BRE, with only 50-60MB/day bandwidth, and pretty unobtrusive ads, is
easily able to cover the $10/mth hosting fee without even doing any of the
things Google recommend to get better results. I'm sure a site with traffic like
Brickshelf could generate significant income from such a service with a little
work.

And as you say, there is always the option of subscriptions to generate more
income.

ROSCO