 General / 53850
Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:00:48 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.general, Eric Smith wrote:

For those of you saying that the site had ads (and I do remember the uproar when
they appeared), ads only work if people click on them. Given the fact that the
bulk of the content was pictures, it would be hard to get well-targeted ads on
the pages. Poorly targeted ads = poor clickthrough rates = less money.

Thanks for the information, Eric. It's hard for most people (including myself)
to get a grasp on just what resources are needed to run such a site.

With respect to targeted ads, Kevin was using Google Adsense, and I believe
(from seeing different ads for different folders) he was feeding the folder
keywords and maybe the description text to Google to get better targeted ads.

Feeding keywords, in the AdSense context is incredibly ineffective. This isn't a
jab at Kevin, simply a bit of reality about how AdSense works. One of the
reasons AdSense favors well trafficked blogs, forums, and news sites is that
they post a metric ton of independent textual content entries and thus pump
hundreds or thousands of words into a single entry. Compare that against a
brickshelf image page with maybe 2-10 keywords. The lack of context would kill
Brickshelf AdSense success.

AdSense can, however, but used effectively. The dating site PlentyOfFish.com (a
Canadian site run and coded by one guy) is doing quite nicely with it, netting
$900,000 in 2 months, according to the owner's blog post:
http://tinyurl.com/ew6fr

Jake
---
Jake McKee