 General / 53775
Re: Problems with Brickshelf?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 05:39:40 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim David wrote:
Just been to Brickshelf and it reports

Brickshelf has discontinued operation. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Maj still seems to be up

Tim

If this turns out to be permanent, I am glad that there are alternatives out
there.  But when I started out here on Lugnet, it was because of Brickshelf.
Had I not had a free service with which to use to upload my LEGO related photos,
I don't think I would have gotten into the AFOL hobby as I have.

In fact I fear for the community as a whole.  Sure, the LEGOverse isn't about to
totally collapse if Brickshelf is indeed gone, but it is a serious blow, and
we'll never be the same.  I fear many new entrants to our hobby will be
discouraged without, in my opinion, the jewel in the AFOL crown, and could
possibly go on to other endevours.

Of course MOCpages is down for the count for the most part.

And all of those AFOLs we've lost... those who have died and who's work was only
available through Brickshelf could now be gone forever.  I can think of quite a
few AFOLs who's pictures were only available on Brickshelf, unless they had
personal websites I was unaware of, or fans of their work saved them for
posterity.

I will admit that I am one of the slackers who never once donated to Brickshelf,
though I would certainly donate now.  But I don't really think Brickshelf going
down would be a money related issue... there's always money to be had.  Simply
making Brickshelf a pay for use site would have fixed that.

I have no time to donate to bringing Brickshelf back, and I have very little
money, but I'm willing to send what little I do have to spare to those who could
resurrect it.

I guess, at least in the mean time, I will be upgrading my flickr account...

--Tony