 General / 53774
Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 05:23:10 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.general, Jeff Stembel wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Troy Cefaratti wrote:
   This is not directed at Tim, but rather some of the whiners that responed to his post above...

**Snip**

And as for the supposed “Lego Community”? Useless. Instead of being a true community and banding together to help save a pillar of the community, what to we get? Personal attacks on Kevin and a bunch of whining.

Do something or quit your complaining.

Troy

Pardon me, but if you provide a MAJOR service to a community that a huge number of people use, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER IT IS FREE OR NOT, it is pure politeness and respect to GIVE WARNING BEFORE YOU DISCONTINUE SERVICE. Honestly, to do otherwise says that you don’t give a shit about the community members who used the service. • **snip** Jeff

Okay, folks--

Troy: Point made. While I am sad that this service has ended, if someone was running it out of pocket, bless them. I do resent being called a vulture, however--I have said nothing against a man I never met. That is unkind and somewhat unfair--and with no information as to the why of a shutdown, is patiently absurd. All I said was that I hoped Brickshelf was hacked--nothing more.

Jeff: Point also made. It is respectful for such a major resource to at least say goodbye and give say, two weeks warning. I have kept all my pics...like I said, it’s the photo geek in me. I will miss this source of inspiration, however. I will also miss the pics from LEGO conventions that I could not be at.

Stray thought: what would happen if we lost LUGnet? Or Bricklink? or any number of other AFOL/LEGO related websites? It gives me pause to think through what we might wish to consider to help those who keep these kinds of sites afloat. Might be money, might be time....

Now, for everyone else: regardless of what has happened (and why), my question is simple: what do we as a community do to replace--and possibly make better--a repository for MOC pics, LEGO convention pics, etc.?

I guess what I am asking is this: Instead of carping and complaining about what we’ve lost (for whatever reason), what do we do now--and where do we do it? Can we make this negative a positive, somehow?

And, do we all need to pitch in a small fee--annual or otherwise--to keep such a place afloat?

Seems to me that’d be the spirit of “Play Well.”

Play Well and Prosper,

Matthew “The Brick Detective”