 General / 53773
Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 03:35:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, Troy Cefaratti wrote:
This is not directed at Tim, but rather some of the whiners that responed to his
post above...

When I first saw that BrickShelf was down, I was all gung-ho to see what I could
do to help bring it back up.  As the host for Classic-Castle, I do have have a
dedicated server and excess bandwidth, so some help could have been provided.

Now, after seeing the reaction here and elsewhere, I am rapidly starting not to
care if you whiney vultures ever get your photos back.

Kevin provided a basically free service to everyone for YEARS.  Everyone used it
without much thought tot he costs involved.  Sure, he could have handled this
latest episode better, but for now none of us know the circumstances involved.
I know that *I* would certainly have grown tired of supporting a site for a
bunch of ungrateful users.

And as for the supposed "Lego Community"?  Useless.  Instead of being a true
community and banding together to help save a pillar of the community, what to
we get?  Personal attacks on Kevin and a bunch of whining.

Do something or quit your complaining.

Troy

Pardon me, but if you provide a MAJOR service to a community that a huge number
of people use, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER IT IS FREE OR NOT, it is pure politeness
and respect to GIVE WARNING BEFORE YOU DISCONTINUE SERVICE.  Honestly, to do
otherwise says that you don't give a shit about the community members who used
the service.

As to the reason it was taken down, I don't know.  I seriously doubt it was
hacked as has been speculated, and Kevin DOES have a history of making drastic
changes with no warning.  In addition, he has publicly stated that people should
always be keeping local copies of images and not to use the site as your sole
repository.

Since maj is up and running, and it uses the same account system (even the hit
counters are combined), I don't see any reason not to move the files over there.
I know maj uses far more bandwidth than BS does, so I'd be hard-pressed to say
it was a bandwidth issue.  And if it WERE a cost issue, it would be FAR better
to transition it to a pay site of some kind.  Many people would still use it.

All I can say is that I'm glad anything up there that I don't have on my machine
already, I don't really care about.  I will miss being able to view models by
Japanese builders, however.

Jeff