 General / 53807
Re: Problems with Brickshelf?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 17:15:39 GMT

In lugnet.general, Johannes Koehler wrote:

Flickr is free (isn't it),

There are two levels: Free, which gives you xxxx, and paid, which removes any
and all restrictions for $25/year.

but looking at pictures there it lasts forever until
you get the pics displayed the way you want to look at them. And you have to
make the adjustments for every single picture in a gallery. And it's not a
Lego-only service, so you probably won't find all the good stuff. Up to now we
only had to comb through a bunch of Bionicle pictures to finally get some
(sorry, Bionicle-lovers) real Lego pis.

On Flickr we have to comb through
Wedding pics, Car show pics, holiday and vacation pics, nature pics...

There is a fairly easy solution to this: simply set some guidelines for you
"tag" your photos. Other Flickr users can also add tags to your photos as they
go. Certainly in our community, this is something we shouldn't have trouble
doing. At Brickfest PDX 2007, for instance, the organizers mentioned  the tag
for the event was "brickfest2007". Here's the 3,000+ photos that search returns:

http://flickr.com/photos/tags/brickfest2007/

There's also another solution, albeit a bit more complicated: Use the Flickr API
to create a tool or tools that help "LEGOize" the experience. There is a metric
ton of potential in this, both for display as well as posting (and searching and
manipulation and...).

(For a list of some of the API tools, check this out: http://www.flickrbits.com)

(Yes, I know there is a search there.)

And a darn good one at that.