 General / 53806
Re: Whiners Re: Problems with Brickshelf?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 17:05:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Troy Cefaratti wrote:
   Do something or quit your complaining.

While I respect the direction you have steered this conversation, I have to say I disagree with some of your comments Troy.

First of all, many of the replies here have simply voiced frustration or concern over the possible loss to the online community - and a decade of images and links IS a loss no matter how many of us saved locally. Such replies are valid comments to share and neither attack the admins of BS nor should they be readily dismissed as “whining”.

Second, you suggest this might not have happened if only users had been willing to support BS. Posts that come below yours in the orginal thread have mixed evidence that perhaps BS was surviving financially on the ads alone. Further, I see mention that some members had indeed made donations. It seems possible the site went down for more than just financial reasons. But if finances were a factor, I for one would have been okay with it being a pay site. ...As one poster mentioned here, it’s rather amazing Lugnet is only $10 plus an ocassional donation campaign. (I’d be willing to pay more here too!)

Third, you ask for people to take action rather than complain. But what action can most of us take? While most could forgo that extra $20 S@H set each year to afford a subscription to a paysite, few of us have computer servers laying around our living rooms, nor is everone who posts here savvy with the networks, hardware, or software involved. (Maybe I’m wrong about that - but I certainly don’t/am not. I can hardly manage the webspace I have for my little 100MB site! And other than being an end-user, I stopped learning new stuff about computer science when the Commodore 128 was still in use.) Further, we are spread out across the globe, and several of us lead busy lives. So other than donating money (which we are willing but no longer able), donating skills (which not all of us have), or dontating time (which not all of us have), what is this “something” you think we can do? Other than simply HOPE the community has more benevolent tech-savvy server-owners, I’m out of ideas.

-Hendo