 General / 53919
Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 06:44:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:
   In lugnet.general, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.general, John Gerlach wrote:

   I completely agree with John’s last point - I’d hit the ‘recent updates’ link on Brickshelf a couple times a day.

And it appears that the mass migration is on! If you go to maj.com, its recent pages are filled with LEGO MOCs...

Am I the only one that’s a bit nervous about about a mass migration to maj.com? If a mass migration happens, the maj.com bandwidth shoots through the roof and Kevin is once again facing overwhelming bandwidth costs. If this happens, does he shut down that site too, thus leaving everyone in the same spot they’re in now? Generally, we don’t know if the issue is that Kevin is done hosting anything or only done hosting brickshelf.com.

Without any communication from Kevin on this matter, I’d be hesitant to rush to migrate to maj.com. But perhaps that’s just me.

I’ve decided to start migrating my BS account to MAJ. Fortunately for me, my gallery is pretty small. What is really needed is a migration bot that automates the upload process to MAJ after BSbackup utility has finished its downloads from brickshelf.

I too am a bit nervous about how bandwidth on MAJ will be affected. Without any stats from Kevin there is no way to tell if MAJ>>BS or BS>>MAJ. It would really be nice to hear his reasons for deciding to shut the site down. If it is financial, I’m sure the community could find a solution. If it is simply time, would he be willing to turn the site administration over to the community?

Regardless of what hosting service people use, I really hope that Kevin maintains the BS content somewhere even if it is off line. I’m sure that alot of content will not be migrated and will be lost to the online community.

It would be really nice if he could donate (or loan) the drives where the BS content is stored to lugnet or peeron or someone in the community (ambassadors??) for safe keeping until a community administered & funded solution could be established. At that point, the original BS content could be restored.

drc