 General / 53766
Re: Problems with Brickshelf?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 01:39:21 GMT

In lugnet.general, Allister McLaren wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Matthew Crandall wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Maggie Cambron wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Tim David wrote:
   Just been to Brickshelf and it reports

Brickshelf has discontinued operation. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Maj still seems to be up

Tim

Maybe it’s been hacked? I can’t imagine he wouldn’t have given people a chance to save their images.... :-(

Maggie C.

I’m glad I kept all my pics--but like Maggie, I have a hard time buying into the theory that someone would just shut ‘er down with little/no warning. This has to be a hack job...I hope I’m right about this--

Play Well and Prosper,

Matthew “The Brick Detective”

There was a thread a couple of years ago where there was a suggestion on BS to transfer all your images to Maj as BS was shutting down, so that should probably have been taken as a warning. Kevin hasn’t mentioned anything about it since, the message was removed, and all seemed to return to normal, so you can be excused for thinking BS was going to stay.

It doesn’t surprise me that he’d pull the plug with no further warning. It’s not like he’s been particularly interested in running the site for a long time. It’s good practice to have all your images saved locally anyway.

Ack! Not a good thread to walk into... ...Unfortunately, it’s not just one’s own photos being lost (if this is true). I keep copies of my MOC images on CD ROM, and recent ones on my hard drive. But that doesn’t save the numerous MOCs of other builders that I have bookmarked in an “inspiration” folder (I doubt I’m the only one to do this). And I couldn’t count the number of hyperlinks I have on various message boards, blogs, and websites that would now be broken.

Granted, I was relying on a free service to host my images to save on capacity on my own sites, so one could argue I get what I pay for. But it’s still sad and frustrating nonetheless (if indeed the service has been lost).

-Hendo