 General / 53779
Re: Problems with Brickshelf?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 06:46:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim David wrote:
Just been to Brickshelf and it reports

Brickshelf has discontinued operation. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Maj still seems to be up

Tim

After reading this thread I am a little confused.  I had always thought that the
ads such as Amazon.com or personal Lego sales such as is on Bricklink paid the
cost of these sites like Lugnet and Peeron.  Peeron asked for donations to speed
up the site and it was a rather small amount, so do these sites really cost all
that much to run?  And if they were not making a profit of somesort are the
folks that run them doing it out of their love of Lego?  I know that Amazon.com
pays a lot to sites as a sponser if they put their link to items for sale.
Is it possible that the owner of BS had health or personal problems that
precluded his working it and the service was cut. Has anyone given a thought
that he may be in the hospital or dead?
I though that sites like this were money makers, albite not cash cows.  How
could one go about buying the site?  If it is not a profitable as I would have
thought, then maybe he would be willing to sell it for a reasonable amount.
I do not understand why all these sites are free.  $10 to lugnet is nothing for
life time membership.  10 a year would still be cheap.
Also after reading all these I am reminded of "How does it affect me?"  I cannot
imagine anyone putting all their pictures on a web site and not saving them
somewhere else.  Very poor planning.  A box of blank CDs is not all the
expensive.  I trust no one with my files.  Something like this might happen.
John P