 General / 53870
Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:15:18 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:
   In lugnet.general, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.general, John Gerlach wrote:

   I completely agree with John’s last point - I’d hit the ‘recent updates’ link on Brickshelf a couple times a day.

And it appears that the mass migration is on! If you go to maj.com, its recent pages are filled with LEGO MOCs...

Am I the only one that’s a bit nervous about about a mass migration to maj.com? If a mass migration happens, the maj.com bandwidth shoots through the roof and Kevin is once again facing overwhelming bandwidth costs. If this happens, does he shut down that site too, thus leaving everyone in the same spot they’re in now? Generally, we don’t know if the issue is that Kevin is done hosting anything or only done hosting brickshelf.com.

Without any communication from Kevin on this matter, I’d be hesitant to rush to migrate to maj.com. But perhaps that’s just me.

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Private Citizen
“Keeping hope alive”

I also agree until we find out something from Kevin, moving files, correcting links, and stressing over lost pictures is all worthless, we all just need to take a breath and wait to hear something.

It is obvious that Brickshelf has evolved into more then a free web site for a small corner of the internet. It has morphed into an endless free sharing of designs techniques and models of any thing LEGO.

For what ever the reason for the current outage I feel the LEGO community has more than enough history and work involved in Brickshelf that we need to make sure we have this site for the future, in any form.

I enjoy going to one site and seeing nothing but LEGO, I fear that with out Brickshelf in the future many of the works of others will be lost in the internet fog. I love the recent folders as I know I can see everything that gets uploaded. Searching is hard but that’s because most people do not name the pictures or add a search string to the folder.

Hopping for the return of the one and only Brickshelf!

Mike Gallagher MIKESLEGO GALLAGHERSART

FYI, Mentioned years ago and a backup solution was made, new version works on MAJ.com (what does MAJ stand for ?)

Lugnet article http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=50928

Current link http://www.fial.com/bob/partscatalog/download/BSBackup_0013.zip