 General / 53848
Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:44:34 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kerry Raymond wrote:
Advertising services like Adsense can generate pretty well targeted ads, and
although the revenue is less than getting advertisers directly, it is much less
work. BRE, with only 50-60MB/day bandwidth, and pretty unobtrusive ads, is
easily able to cover the $10/mth hosting fee without even doing any of the
things Google recommend to get better results. I'm sure a site with traffic like
Brickshelf could generate significant income from such a service with a little
work.

Hmm. If Brickshelf was attracting plenty of money through advertising, why would
its owner close it down? Unless we think Kevin is joining a monastery and
devoting himself to a life of poverty, that's not rational behaviour. If
Bricklink was really bringing in megabucks in advertising, Kevin could afford to
hire someone else to maintain the site if he was too busy.

So, my guess is that the Brickshelf was not making money or at least not making
enough to be worth Kevin's time maintaining it.

Kerry

Or he's focusing his efforts on maj.com, which as far as I can tell is based on
Brickshelf's code.