 General / 53803
Re: Problems with Brickshelf?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:48:01 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Paul Baulch wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Jon Palmer wrote:

Everyone else, get on Flickr.

No, Flickr is a load of garbage. It’s way, way slower to load than just about any other image-hosting site I’ve ever used, it has crap size restrictions on the actual image presentations for no reason other than it wants to maintain a “site look”, which, frankly, is totally unnecessary for an image-hosting site, and it tempts users to add pointless fluff that tends to hinder rather than help examination of images.

People should try Maj, or Yesalbum, or Photobucket, or google for “image hosting” if they don’t like those, but for the love of all that is sane in this world DON’T use Flickr.

I’d have to take great exception to this point. I love Flickr. It’s an absolutely fantastic.

Sorry to follow-up to my own post (I wish I could simply edit the existing post instead). Forgot to mention that Flickr also has an incredible robust API that allows other sites to tap into the functionality of Flickr with relative ease.

Three of my favorite uses of the API:
  • Picnik (www.picnik.com) - incredibly robust image editing and manipulation capabilities. Freemium account scheme (although everything is free during their initial launch), all web-based, and absolutely incredible.

  • Moo Cards (www.moo.com) - For $20, you can create a box of “Moo Cards”, small business cards with your text info on one side and photos of your selection from your Flickr account on the other. It’s fast and very very easy.

  • Post/Blog via email - I can take a photo on my cell phone and using the standard Flickr functionality, send it to a special Flickr email address. One address posts the photo straight to the site, one address posts for “friends and family” access only, one sends the photo straight to my blog.
There are many, many more cool Flickr functions out there, but these are three that I use regularly that many people don’t know about.

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Private Citizen