 General / 53823
Re: Problems with Brickshelf?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 19:47:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, John P. Henderson wrote:
   I’m not sure where to post this in this thread, so I’m just going to throw it out there. If anyone here decides they want to take action (as I said, I’m not sure what) to build or rebuild the sort of service we had with BS, I want to make one suggestion: Use people’s real names.

Brickshelf used to use real names but there have been some laws passed in the past few years that make that problematic. For one thing, there are laws against collecting certain information online from people under the age of 13. The idea is to make it harder for pedophiles to track down their prey. Kevin took all the real names down one day a few years ago (without much fanfare, they just disappeared). You used to be able to browse users by their real names, but then after that you could only use the login name.