 Year / 2002 / 169
Re: More POOPs and licenses (Galidor)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2002
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 19:25:09 GMT

In lugnet.year.2002, Jim Green writes:
In lugnet.year.2002, Kevin Johnston writes:

Perhaps Lego has something better lined up here, like an
exclusive contract that keeps other stuff off the shelves.

I don't know if this answers the issue as for Galidor, but here is a
little more info...

http://216.191.209.135/articles/magazine/20011001/lmbriefs.html?word=galidor

From the article:
"As merchandising rights owner, Lego holds master toy and software licenses and
is currently negotiating with licensing agents. The first phase of product,
which is tentatively slated to start rolling out in North America next summer,
will include categories like action figures, books and video games."

I have no clue what the "master license" designation entails.

I think this means they have most major toy categories locked up (including the
"action figure" segment).

On the one hand, it means they will be able to stand out better (unlike the Bob
the Builder sets, as I mentioned previously), but on the other hand is the
implication that Lego will market this as an "action figure toy?"  (Even more so
than Bionicle.)  I presume so-- they wouldn't put all those different characters
on the teaser page if they weren't going to produce a large fraction of them,
would they?  Look at all the different body parts-- this is a significant
undertaking from a production perspective (which just underscores the risk
already mentioned in this thread).

I now find myself wondering what the vehicles/accessories will look like.  I
predict they will be composed of a few highly-specialized parts.  The action
figure market is an "open the package and play with it" market-- far beyond
juniorization.

Lego has little experience in this market.  It's very flash-in-the-pan.  Even
major licenses can bomb, and minor ones get trampled all the time.  Though from
another perspective, the action figure market is pretty moribund, having taken a
persistent beating from electronic games.  Maybe something radically different -
- an action figure line with extremely well-designed and tough, partially
configurable vehicles -- will catch hold.

But it doesn't seem likely to me.

Kevin