 Year / 2002 / 141
Re: 2002 catalog scans at FBTB
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2002
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 17:35:43 GMT

Arne

(who dislikes the new canopy's - heritage from Jack Stone!)

In defense of the new canopies...

For the first time in a while, they designed a new canopy that actually
matches existing piece geometry.  A 2-stud 45-degree front angle matches
perfectly with the very common 3x3 plate w/o corner and the 3x6 plate w/o
corners.  Also the facet bricks and 6x6 octagonal domes.  This is a critical
bit that Lego appears to be largely ignoring lately- making pieces that
actually work with existing ones.  Look at the current Jack Stone 6-wide
canopy and the front end of the Railway Express- these don't match with
anything without doing SNOT construction.

And although the patterns on the canopies look like they are printed, at
least they are generic in theme and don't completely block the view
(remember the ones from Aqua Sharks and Insectoids?  GAAIGH!)

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com