 Year / 2002 / 159
Re: More POOPs and licenses (was Re: 2002 catalog scans at FBTB)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2002
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 20:28:30 GMT

In lugnet.year.2002, Kevin Johnston writes:

New tidbit on another topic: Tim has a new news item that the "quest"
preview belongs to a new *LICENSE*.  What's really annoying is that it's
some brand-new Fox cartoon show (Galindor or something like that).  Is this
the first license attached to a property without an established following?

Oh well... Just continuing the downward spin in terms of LEGO and Licensing.  I
remember when the Star Wars License was announced (TLC's First), that it was
made clear that TLC was looking for long term relationships with products that
have as long a shelf life as LEGO and that they didn't want Licenses that would
dry up like a fad.

Well Star Wars has a long history, Harry Potter has a large following but not
much history,  Jurassic Park has a moderate following without much history,
Bob Builder is popular with small children but has no history.  This new
license seems to have no history or following... Huge Risk in my oppinion.

My feeling is that the Star Wars License was a good thing.  Harry Potter was OK
because of the huge following.  Jurassic Park should never have been done, who
needs a license to sell dinosaurs?  Bob Builder probably wasn't necessary
either although it definitly cuts down on R&D, which I guess is part of the
point with Licenses.  I fully think that if this is a new license for an
unproven product that it is a big mistake.

I was hoping this was some new in-house creation.  But instead it means
there are NO NEW IN-HOUSE THEMES for early 2002; just extensions of a few
existing ones.

Well as I alluded to R&D is expensive and these license do reduce that expense
but in general I think most of us would rather LEGO went back to producing
their own lines and for goodness sake Bring Back TOWN!!!

Eric K.