 Trains / *13569 (-100)
  Re: MichLUG - GATS Show in Grand Rapids, Michigan - My Report

(...) (these were stickers) (...) I think you got them all, except Steve R was using white paint dots I thought. Scott, I am very sorry but that means you can only use Pink. :-) Or yellow, or green... Do we have to worry about what other clubs do? (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Switch Track Modification - A better way!

(...) My compliments! I've been a big advocate for opening the switches and modifying them for a while. Your method, however, is faster and less hassle than mine (l). I certainly wouldn't mind the "scar" - it's on the bottom. For those who are (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Monorail MOC's

(...) Isn't the Disneyland sub ride also a monorail? Paul Sinasohn (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) Can you comment on what ideas on the new sets were borrowed from the MOC's that you (all of you) brought? I noticed that the Caboose and the Coach are the first train cars to feature town doors. Not really a new idea, but our MOC's started (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) We don't use the term tram for anything at all in the US, IIRC. The conveyance Josh is referring to runs down Quincy hill from the Quincy Mine to the MTU classroom mine (yes, it's a mine that has classrooms and labs where you get to drill in (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Reed sensors are not working very well (or too well?)

[I'm cross posting this to trains just in case anyone has a idea or fix.] I've finished the reed sensors for the Trolley line. Work fantastically! I've also finished the reed sensor for the Hogwarts. Not so good. In my tests I used a single car to (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Brickfest Video up!

(...) Just checked and the rtlToronto Train1 video is still online: (URL) well. Tim Strutt 8^) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Congratulations, Larry

Larry & All, I just saw the Mania magazine last night, and saw Larry in there. It was pretty neat, even MTLC was mentioned! : ) I am glad they have included some of the train clubs, I know I am excited about it! Scott S. -- (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Brickfest Video up!

(...) Yeah, best band on Earth.... (...) No problem. I have said it before, but wow! that mountain was cool! (...) I have a standard sized Sony Handycam that I strapped to a LEGO Flatcar. Nothing special really. Seemed to work fine, except that it (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Switch Track Modification - A better way!

I should have titled this thread as "Switch Track Modification (for those of us that DO, A better way!)" For myself, my points are automated and I can't allow the point to stall the motor or blow the switch apart after x switches. The switch must be (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Brickfest Video up!

(...) Cool video. Are you a U2 fan too? I love the tunnel and on-train footage. And you give a good overview of the mountain that I couldn't get from photos alone. Thanks for posting that. What camera did you use for the on-train footage? One of the (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) Ok, let's see if I can list all the types Boston has (I am including some types Sydney certainly has): subway light rail (both above and underground) (subway and light rail above ground run both on dedicated right of way and in the median) (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Monorail MOC's

(...) Neat. Did you know that monorail submarines actually exist? (URL) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) Ah, I live in Upper Michigan. Josh (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) I'm not Larry (insert your own comment here!), but I'll toss out an answer anyway: I don't know if Jorn designed the all the MOT sets, but I'll bet he did. He has been pretty much the *only* train designer for several years. It was fun to (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Switch Track Modification - A better way!

(...) I posted some links on this topic just yesterday in another thread. (URL) well. Tim Strutt 8^) ParLUGment #2 (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

Larry, You mentioned in the Train Summit thread ( (URL) ) that the lead Lego Train Designer, Jorn Kristian Thomsen, was in attendance. Are the new My Own Trains his work? Bryan "Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Monorail MOC's

Hi Carl I have a funky submarine monorail :) (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains)

  10001 Changes (was: Re: August Surprise...)

Getting back to a 11day old question with some info and some speculation: (...) While talking about the changes in the 10000 Guarded Inn, the impression I got was that he considered those changes as less than minor. So I'm expecting the Metroliner (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) I used to live in La Crosse, Wisconsin. (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) Where in Wisconsin? Josh (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) Yep. It was really cool living so close to a railroad up in Wisconsin. I wish I still lived there at times. :-) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  (canceled)

  Re: Monorail MOC's

(...) (URL) it's built on a monorail, and it's wider than 4, so it counts, right? James (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Monorail MOC's

Carl: (...) I have tried 8 wide. It does give rise to some stability problems though. (...) Have a look at: (URL) pictures of my experiment. It is not all that elegant, but it can carry around ten passengers and four containers. Jacob (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Switch Track Modification - A better way!

(...) URL to your site? Dean (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Switch Track Modification - A better way!

You can use a motor to control both New or Old Switch Point easily, there are 5 switch points in my layout, some are new type and some are old type, all of them can be controlled by RCX smoothly! I don't know why the modification is needed? (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) Yep, most railroads still have them. It's just that they tend to get used on local trains only now (A FRED is cheaper for mainline, when you are not switching the train at all). Because the crew is 3 on most mainline runs (or even 2), you (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) Sydney has (in rough order of actual usefulness): conventional bus, heavy rail (suburban and interurban trains), ferries (various conventional and catamarans), light rail (trams recently re-established on the outskirts of the CBD), and a (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) There is frequently a caboose sitting outside the Dow Chemical yard between outgoing trains, and it sometimes goes away, and is sometimes a different caboose, so I'd guess that it's getting attached to outbound trains, and getting dropped off (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) But does Philly opperate commuter ferries? Just a question I don't know a lot about Philadelphia. Eric Kingsley (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

"Frank Filz" <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:3B5EC557.6488@m...ing.com... (...) [ ... snipped ... ] (...) Philadelphia probably has the same variety of transit options that Boston has. They still have those goofy electric SEPTA busses (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) I was on a steam excursion trip July 15th, and we were passed by a freight train with a caboose at the end. It was pretty dark by then, so I couldn't see if anyone was actually riding in the caboose. Sure was neat to see one rolling, though! (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) Burlington (early 90's Burlington Northern, Now Burlington Northern Santa Fe)... Railroad, however (...) I like the story though, I wish I lived that close... Last time I saw a caboose was 3 weeks ago, parked on a spur with a rusty older snow (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) I saw a CSX train near Harper's Ferry, WV with a bay window caboose as recently as a year and half ago. It might have been a freak occurance though. (...) neat story. -chris (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) Tram, There's a Tram less then a mile from were I live, and it has no over head power supply, and runs on 3 (yes 3) rail, the middle being a gear, to climb a steep grade (like 15% grade, or something). If Larry reads this he may know what i'm (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what are the use of studs?

(...) And you're also a freak... The rest of the GMLTC refers to John as 'the guy who doesn't want his LEGO constructions to look like LEGO'. Maybe it's a good thing that he seldom builds anything that ends up on our layout! JohnG, GMLTC (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Monorail MOC's

(...) Check out my train links page at (URL) are two sections of monorail, layouts and trains. 6 wide has definitely been done. I think 8-wide has also been done. I've been cooking up an attempt at a Boston MBTA Boeing LRV as a monorail, but who (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) Definitely. I'm glad to see LEGO provide some American style equipment. (...) That is NOT absolutely NOT a caboose. It's a coach. (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) I suspect the guards van doesn't have the same romaticism as the caboose because it wasn't so much a living quarters. Trains are also heavily romanticized in the US because of their role in developing the nation (we wouldn't be arguing about (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) [snip] (...) I have had my 10014 just at hand - here is a view inside the caboose: (URL) is not so great, that you should overtake it. Of course we are able to do things a little better, but it is great, that the caboose has any interieur at (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) PHEW! I'd gone into a bit of a panic the last day or two ... as my WWII German train nears completion, I decided to add a caboose-like car because I was fascinated by the interior detailing that could be added - and then this topic comes (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

"Simon Bennett" <simon.bennett@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:GH10K4.B15@lugnet.com... (...) Blackpool? (...) I meant quiet by the way! (...) Interesting. I guess that in some respects the infrastructure cost is not necessarily any different (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10013 & 10014 First Impressions

(...) I got mine yesterday when I came back from work, just 5 days after ordering them (although I had chosen the cheapest and slowes way of shipping). I agree with all, what you have written about the sets and the packages. Especially 10014 is a (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Monorail MOC's

I was thinking about scale & thought that a 4 wide Monorail is too small. Has anyone built a 5 wide or 6 wide Monorail. Do any issues arrise from building wider than the base? Could someone please point me in the direction of some Monorail MOC's. (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) Well, I may have good news for you Lawrence. My colleagues at work are now consulting over new 'Intermediate Modes' schemes for London (due to the huge success of Croydon Tramlink) and the result may be trolleybuses in Greenwich, Uxbridge Road (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10013 & 10014 First Impressions

(...) news:GGzHzp.80z@lugnet.com... (...) Metroliner (which we can expect some (...) no apparent reason. (...) £119 in the UK, and just £95 in Germany (...) 26% cheaper in Germany than the UK) (...) profit from the UK (...) How much was the (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

"Frank Buiting" <frank.buiting@infopulse.nl> wrote in message news:GH0t2o.MwM@lugnet.com... (...) Do you call them 'Guards Van' in Holland? (Dutch equivalent of course) Can't imagine you call them a Caboose. regards lawrence (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) :-) To *me*, the ultimate compliment. My idea of SNOT design is to tile or slope *everything*{:^D Last night a friend was over and he was checking out our train layout, which is under heavy construction. I had my buildings piled up in the (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) Funny, today I received the caboose set and on the bill it says: "10014 Guard's Van". So there you have it! -Frank (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

"Christopher Masi" <cmasi@cmasi.chem.tulane.edu> wrote in message news:3B5E4219.79B21C...ane.edu... (...) I didn't say I don't love them. They are a quaint design. What I was pointing out is that outside of the USA they are not a classic and (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) I don't think that US prototype modellers like four-wheel waggons and buffers on the end of their cars. But we must learn to compromise-LEGO® train models are geared towards a European/UK appearance. I myself like Euro-style trains, big, 8W (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) I'm curious. Does ANYONE use cabooses anymore? The last time I remember seeing a caboose on a train was sometime in the early 90s. At the time I lived right next to a series of railroad tracks, one right next to the other. Only around 50 or 60 (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

<snip> Everyone loves a caboose. (...) I either think that Lawrence doesn't have a lot of exposure to cabooses, or thinks they are too "american" for him. (then again, I don't want to speak for him.....) Oh I absolutely love Cabooses and Trolleys. I (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A round of applause for LEGO® on their new train releases

(...) Same here. The only train I will buy is 10001. That is, unless, Lego come out with something just as good if not better. (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) You don't love cabooses? How weird. I suppose you hate trolleys too ;) Chris (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) I like yours better. The only problem (smirk) with your 14-wide caboose, is that it doesn't even look like LEGO. Thanks, Chris (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A round of applause for LEGO® on their new train releases

(...) Hey 4561 also cause you to have to force Non-Lego train buffs to know that Lego trains arn't only for little kids. One Guy told me i'm crazy if I "play" with trains like 4561, but i don't I have never, or will ever buy a 4561. Josh (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Switch Track Modification - A better way!

(...) Yep. Now a motor can easily control the switch. -Bryan (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Switch Track Modification - A better way!

(...) The modification allows the switch track to be MUCH easier to move. It is incredibly hard to move the switch from one state to the other. Make the mod and it's smooth sailing. Dean (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Switch Track Modification - A better way!

I'm trying to make sure that I understand the purpose of the modification (being the modification guy that I am, I like to know what and why others modify pieces). Is the purpose to get rid of the firm 'snap' that occurs when the switch is thrown (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains)

  Re: A round of applause for LEGO® on their new train releases

(...) BRING BACK THE FREIGHT RAIL RUNNER! I was a dedicated S@H purchaser for (me and) my son who was devistated when the Freight Rail Runner (4564) was discontinued after one issue of S@H. After that experience, I was much more knowledgable and (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Switch Track Modification - A better way!

Today I realized that my modified switch track was the wrong way. A right instead of the needed left. After the horror of modifying the first one (I used one that didn't work well, figured it would be best... No so. Nasty, the metal contacts had (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains)

  Re: A round of applause for LEGO® on their new train releases

(...) what was lego thinking in the first place to juniorize their train sets?they probably knew that after a while people would loose interest since their sets had fewer and fewer pieces, and were becoming more expensive. anyway, i think its great (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: need train pics!

(...) Im not going to put other peoples creations on my site, unless their in the GNYLTC... i just need a few pics of stock lego trains from TLG, like a pic of the 4551 or 4547...to make my site look better. (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A round of applause for LEGO® on their new train releases

(...) Hear, Hear!!! Unfortunatly, the beginning of the end of juniorization didn't come before the train station and the Freight Loading Station were juniorized. Lets have a moment of silence for these great sets. Anyways. I've always wanted to (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Another Legend dies....

(...) I don't know about all of you, but there are at least 6 non-AFOL families who regularly ask me for Lego advice (including help on buying out-of-production sets). I have told them exactly what I think about Lego Racers, Juniorization, Bionicle, (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) Chris- This is a very nice MOC, Chris-- the best caboose I've seen yet.... -John (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A round of applause for LEGO® on their new train releases

(...) snipped myself (...) Oh yeah - thanks for reminding me - I guess it was wishful thinking... - Bob (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

"Bob" <cg47@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:GGzsB6.Jw1@lugnet.com... (...) new (...) missed (...) came (...) the (...) The log car doesn't have any barrels, the logs are comprised of 2x2 brown round bricks. Mike -- Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A round of applause for LEGO® on their new train releases

(...) I know that I am going to be buying some of the new releases since I missed out on the Blue Hopper cars <set:4536> (at reasonable prices) when they came out (how about that for part of the Legends line?). I already plan to buy the re-released (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: need train pics!

(...) You want to put other people's creations on your site? Why? I suggest you put your own creations up instead, and just name off links to sites you think are cool. But if you insist on doing this... Make sure you have permission from the people (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  A round of applause for LEGO® on their new train releases

I want to thank LEGO® and LEGO® Direct for an outstanding job on their new train releases. This has restored my faith in what LEGO® can do and has given juniorization a good kick in the you-know-what. -Harvey (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: 10013 & 10014 First Impressions (at a price)

Lawrence, don't fret, soon we will be in the Euro with all the benefits of a unitary currency. Followed soon after by a European Federal Government who will set tax and VAT rates. Then we can all enjoy the same prices as our European neighbours. Not (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

"Christopher Masi" <cmasi@cmasi.chem.tulane.edu> wrote in message news:3B5DADD5.992054...ane.edu... (...) But not outside the USA where we don't have them. We do have Guard's Vans though. Similar function, but usually a different design. They too (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) The best reason to build a caboose is because a caboose is a classic and romanticized part of trains. Everyone loves a caboose. Why buy LEGO's caboose? It looks like a fairly good model (don't have one yet), or it is a good source of parts. If (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v vs 12v

(...) (you may only need an extra track power connector). Of course given an unlimited budget, I could create a much more enjoyable layout with 12V and be pure since the signal track is very flexible. Ultimately though I think the way to go is to be (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: MichLUG GATS Show - Amy's pictures

(...) Anybody here check out these photos that Amy Hughes scanned?-Harvey (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10013 & 10014 First Impressions

"James Stacey" <James@minifig.co.uk> wrote in message news:GGzHzp.80z@lugnet.com... (...) Well, whilst a couple of quid on a caboose might not seem much, wait until the Metroliner (which we can expect some demand for) gets launched soon and you (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: D.C. Metrorail Car

(...) It is definately sturdy to run around a track and hold up to adult handling (holding from both ends). It would not survive child play in it's current form. The interior is completely hollow except for 1 2x8 plate running from roof to floor at (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: D.C. Metrorail Car

Yes, I would love to try it on the amfleet cars, which have a pronounced curvature. There are two problems, 1x4 gray hinge plates are fairly rare and you can't use the wide roof with regular bricks. I used brown 1x2 log bricks to get the clearance (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: D.C. Metrorail Car

(...) Wow! where were those pics when I was building the model? I can see that I need to make some changes to the doors. The pics I was working from all had the doors open so I had to guess. KL (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  need train pics!

hi, i need GIF and JPEG pictures of lego trains to put on my site. please email me at razoredge442@aol.com on where i can find them! thanks! joe (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

you wouldn't let it lie :) James "Lawrence Wilkes" <lawrence@thewilkesf...rve.co.uk> wrote in message news:GGzH6J.5JD@lugnet.com... (...) news:GGzDp1.ILp@lugnet.com... (...) yesterday. (...) just (...) detail (...) saucepan, (...) blue (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

"Paul Cook" <astronut1@lycos.com> wrote in message news:GGzDp1.ILp@lugnet.com... (...) 20% cheaper in Germany though. Sorry, still annoyed that we get ripped off. regards lawrence (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  10013 & 10014 First Impressions

10013 Open Freight Wagon and 10014 Caboose arrived in the post yesterday. As expected 10013 is not all that great but I hope to use the parts to build a wagon closer to Huw Millington's designs. (By the way Huw, I can't seem to get to your website (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: new train cars, MOT or 9V cars

(...) me too, see this thread: (URL) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.admin.database, lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) I'm partial to mine:-) (URL) Mike Walsh has one for sale that (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v vs 12v

(...) I personally rather have the power sidings and use signals to control the movement of the trains. Layouts shown in the 7777 train book are generally impossible to recreate in a 9V layout because the sidings need power in order to run more (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: new train cars, MOT or 9V cars

In lugnet.trains, Frank Filz writes: <snip> Agreed. The current organization was done by a non trainhead, IMHO. I made some suggestions in the past on this topic as well. (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.admin.database, lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) True (or was true back in the old days) (...) False. It's a better model than recent TLC efforts but it's not "very good". Search the net and you'll find far better. Mike Walsh has one for sale that is way better, in part because it has the (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: new train cars, MOT or 9V cars

(...) I'd very much like it if the train portion of the database were modified to be more generally usefull. My organization would be something like: trains - push - engines (includes MOT) - train sets - 4.5v - engines - sets - accessories - 12v - (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.admin.database, lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) Primary uses were: - Provide a place for the conductor and brakeman to ride - Provide an office for the conductor to do his paperwork - Provide a place to cary various things neccessary to maintenance and operation of the train - Provide a (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v vs 12v

(...) See this post from yesterday on train compatibility for more information: (URL) >- The 12V system has electrical accessories which 9V doesn't have: (...) No command control, though a few folks have adapted DCC for 9V use (it would work equally (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mathis to Matthes: OK in Desert; Thanks for the Wheel Flange Rims

(...) It wasn't me! Stefan Vorst produced the rims and i could imagine that he also sold some in the US?? I will forward the positive feedback to Stefan ... (...) Well, that's true ;-( [What about a Thatcher Perkins legend?] (...) Not at all ;-)) (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

(...) I'm sure someone will elaborate on this, but... The train crews included the conductor, who would wacth the train so that if any car derailed, they would know. the caboose also allowed protection of the rear of the train, so that other trains (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v vs 12v

(...) OK, so if I understand this correctly, the track for 9V and 12V is actually the same gauge, the difference is purely electrical? (...) These sound like pretty nice features to have. Do either 9V or 12V have any type of Command Control type (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: new train cars, MOT or 9V cars

(...) I think the MOT's are only classified as the train locomotives that you can decide the colors of. The train cars are MOT cars, but only one color. Josh (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.admin.database, lugnet.trains)

  Re: what is the use of a caboose?

The caboose is a warm place to rest and heat up some beans and make a pot of coffee. It also is a very good model. -- Bob Fay rfay@we.mediaone.net (URL) de Haan" <jeroendehaan@mac.com> wrote in message news:GGz4qz.JxH@lugnet.com... (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  new train cars, MOT or 9V cars

Hi, Not to be nitpicking but I was wondering if the new train cars (caboose etc.) should be located under LEGO > SYSTEM > Trains > 9v > My Own Train instead of LEGO > SYSTEM > Trains > 9v > Train Cars (where they are now) The box-art clearly (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.admin.database, lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact