 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 1227
Re: Switch Track Modification - A better way!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 02:07:21 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.vlc, Dean Husby writes:

I think it works REALLY well. I had it done in 5 minutes.

My compliments!  I've been a big advocate for opening the switches and
modifying them for a while.  Your method, however, is faster and less hassle
than mine (l).  I certainly wouldn't mind the "scar" - it's on the bottom.

For those who are wondering why all the trouble, the answer is you can make
smaller switchboxes.  This allows you to put track closer together, handy in
tight layouts (2).  Plus, the little yellow pneumatic cylinders can be used to
actuate them.

An old description of my modifications:

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~magnew/modify.htm

pix at the bottom.

And if anyone's got small pneumatic cylinders to sell, I'll buy all ya got!

Thanks for sharing, Dean.
Matt Agnew

(1)  Drilling out each plastic weld on the _whole_ backplate, modifying the
slider a la Husby, and gluing back together.  Easy but a bit fussy to do.  The
little nub on the end of the slider has to fit right between two small wire
contacts.

(2) Aren't they all?