 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 1200
Re: Switch Track Modification - A better way!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 01:29:28 GMT

I'm trying to make sure that I understand the purpose of the modification
(being the modification guy that I am, I like to know what and why others
modify pieces).
Is the purpose to get rid of the firm 'snap' that occurs when the switch is
thrown from one position to another, so that when an electro-motor force is
applied to the switch, it moves freely?
If not that, what then?
I'm sure I'm not alone in my curiousity.

Rich

--
Have Fun! C-Ya!

Legoman34

*****
Legoman34 (Richard W. Schamus)... (My views do not necessarily express the
views of my employer...)

BRICKFEST 2002 IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER... START MAKING PLANS TODAY.

Card carrying LUGNET MEMBER: #70
Visit http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/1334
...(the wait is over...)
..."The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself." ...
*****

In lugnet.org.ca.vlc, Dean Husby writes:
Today I realized that my modified switch track was the wrong way. A
right instead of the needed left. After the horror of modifying the
first one (I used one that didn't work well, figured it would be best...
No so. Nasty, the metal contacts had been damaged and now refuse to make
contact...) I really didn't want to open up another one to modify it.
When I really had to, to get the switch track for our next show, I
decided to try a new method.
I think it works REALLY well. I had it done in 5 minutes.

I think these pictures say it all.

http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/temppics/switchmod1.jpg
http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/temppics/switchmod2.jpg
http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/temppics/switchmod3.jpg
http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/temppics/switchmod4.jpg
http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/temppics/switchmod5.jpg

Except for the scar, there is no difference. Except it was very easy to
do.

Just gently pop up the long bar and, using an X-acto knife, whittle away
until your happy. Pop it back in and glue.

Comments?

Dean