 Trains / 12570
Re: 9v vs 12v
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 17:02:37 GMT

Frank Buiting wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Frank Filz writes:
Some disadvantages of 12V:

- The turnouts don't switch electical power which means you can't put a
train in a siding and then isolate it from the main loop (so those
signal tracks are rather necessary).

Not a big deal if I build a larger layout for myself, but for just throwing
together some track for my kids to play with trains it might be a pain.

Even on a big layout it's a pain. Since all sidings are powered all the
time with 12V, you can't have an isolated siding without pulling tricks.
Of course you can have an isolated siding without modifying parts if you
create one stud gaps in the rails. The Technic direction control switch
can be used then to selectively supply power.

I personally rather have the power sidings and use signals to control the
movement of the trains. Layouts shown in the 7777 train book are generally
impossible to recreate in a 9V layout because the sidings need power in
order to run more trains.
pages:
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/7000/7777/7777-48.html
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/7000/7777/7777-49.html

Of course you can make any siding powered in 9V with standard components
(you may only need an extra track power connector).

Of course given an unlimited budget, I could create a much more
enjoyable layout with 12V and be pure since the signal track is very
flexible.

Ultimately though I think the way to go is to be slightly impure and
introduce DCC into the equation. I'm still tempted to go 12V though to
get the remote points.

I've also considered ways to use the 12V accessories on a 9V system. The
remote crossing gate of course works just fine. The signal set could
also be used, you just need to skip the 12V isolation rails provided,
and provide your own gap (either by cutting 9V track, or by inserting a
1 stud gap). The remote points unfortunately are almost totally useless
(but you can still buy them brand new at the LEGO outlet stores...)

To use the 12V signal, take a look at:
http://members.chello.nl/~f.buiting/lego/trains/signal.html

I'll probably be trying that out. I'm acquiring the controls and lights
from a pair of signal tracks. Unfortunately without the conductor rails,
but it's cheaper than trying to buy a signal track through eBay (where
they seem to go for from $45-60).

Henry, other reasons to buy 12V stuff even if you're plan to operate a 9V
layout:
* 12V trains are very nice models and have good selection of parts.

Absolutely. I love my 7735 (so much that I'm getting a 2nd) and the 7740
themed cars I've made. I'll probably make some kind of engine to go with
them. I'm hoping at some point to get some more red/yellow doors to make
more cars (maybe I'll make the engine totally yellow with the 4 plain
yellow doors from the 2 7735s and use the 4 red/yellow doors to make
another car).

-Frank

The other Frank.

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com