 Trains / 12544
Re: 9v vs 12v
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 12:45:40 GMT

Martin Scragg wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Harvey Henkelman writes:
In lugnet.trains, Alexander Johnston writes:
I agree.  Go with 9v.  However.  Don't listen to Henry there. :-)  Wait a
month and get set 10001.  Most people think #4561 is juniorized junk.
That is certainly true, but we don't even know if 10001 will include the
speed regulator as of yet.
I think you will find that it doesn't.  If you look at the box cover in the
set database, you will see that the regulator is not shown as included, but
is crossed out meaning you need to get it separately.

Additionally, 4558 did not have the regulator (which is presumably why
the picture of the 4548 box for the regulator has a picture of the
Metroliner on it).

4561 does have some good parts, just ignore the instructions....

I would like to counter some of the 12V ideas presented however...

- It is possible to get 12V sets for a reasonable price. I have picked
up some bargains

- If you get a good price on it, you can swipe a train motor from one of
the many extra train sets you'll end up buying and use the 12V set on 9V
track.

- The 12V system has electrical accessories which 9V doesn't have:
  - remote control points
  - remote control crossing gates
  - remote control signal track (which stops a train)
  - remote control uncoupler (said to not work very well)

- The 12V system has turnouts which allow sidings at an 8 stud pitch
instead of 16. This makes for more compact layouts, however does limit
the possibilities for 8-wide operation.

- 12V motors allow for a 3rd pair of wheels, also, side rods are
available.

- There are some nice trains. 7740 is probably one of TLC's best
passenger trains, and has two additional cars available, 7815 and 7819.
The 4547 club car built in the red and yellow colors looks very nice and
fits quite well with a 7740.

Some disadvantages of 12V:

- The turnouts don't switch electical power which means you can't put a
train in a siding and then isolate it from the main loop (so those
signal tracks are rather necessary).

- The center conductor rails are less attractive than the 9V 2-rail
track.

- Assembling track is somewhat of a bear, dissasembly is even worse with
the newer grey 12V track due to the special tie plates.

- 12V regulators are only available with non-US (mostly European) plugs
and require a 220V outlet.

- Electrical pickup on 12V track is not as good. Pickup is from two
sprung metal studs which contact the center conductor rail. Dirt and
oxidation is more of a problem.

- 12V motors use rubber treads on the wheels, since these are no longer
available from TLC, as they wear out, a non-LEGO replacement will need
to be found.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com