 Trains / 12546
Re: 9v vs 12v
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 13:27:30 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Harvey Henkelman writes:
In lugnet.trains, Alexander Johnston writes:
Welcome aboard Henry, I believe I can answer your questions. First of all,
9V is the current system being offered by LEGO®. What 12V stuff you may find
will be at auction on Ebay or being sold through Brickbay at very high
prices, (it's been out of production for at least 10-11 years now) 9V trains
are much more reliable and faster as well. If you're looking for a basic
starter set (trains, track, and plug-in transformer, then set #4561 is the
way to go. It can be ordered at LEGO® Shop At Home http://www.lego.com
-LEGO® has also released some new train sets as well as reissuing some of
their older 9V sets. Stick around for some great stuff going on here at
LUGNET! But 9V is definitely the way to go.-Harvey

I agree.  Go with 9v.  However.  Don't listen to Henry there. :-)  Wait a
month and get set 10001.  Most people think #4561 is juniorized junk.
That is certainly true, but we don't even know if 10001 will include the
speed regulator as of yet. By the way, Harvey suggested that Henry get the
4561-not the other way around. When I had my 4561, I still managed to build
a small shunting locomotive and two flat waggons. -Harvey

4561 is a good parts set and if you want something NOW it's a good choice.
You may be able to find it for less than list too. Check various web sites
or your local Target which sometimes has them on sale.