 Trains / 12550
Re: 9v vs 12v
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 13:54:20 GMT

- If you get a good price on it, you can swipe a train motor from one of
the many extra train sets you'll end up buying and use the 12V set on 9V
track.

OK, so if I understand this correctly, the track for 9V and 12V is actually the
same gauge, the difference is purely electrical?

- The 12V system has electrical accessories which 9V doesn't have:
- remote control points
- remote control crossing gates
- remote control signal track (which stops a train)
- remote control uncoupler (said to not work very well)

These sound like pretty nice features to have. Do either 9V or 12V have any
type of Command Control type equipment, or are trains run on the block system?

Some disadvantages of 12V:

- The turnouts don't switch electical power which means you can't put a
train in a siding and then isolate it from the main loop (so those
signal tracks are rather necessary).

Not a big deal if I build a larger layout for myself, but for just throwing
together some track for my kids to play with trains it might be a pain.

- Assembling track is somewhat of a bear, dissasembly is even worse with
the newer grey 12V track due to the special tie plates.

Same comment as above.

- 12V regulators are only available with non-US (mostly European) plugs
and require a 220V outlet.

This is annoying.

- Electrical pickup on 12V track is not as good. Pickup is from two
sprung metal studs which contact the center conductor rail. Dirt and
oxidation is more of a problem.

- 12V motors use rubber treads on the wheels, since these are no longer
available from TLC, as they wear out, a non-LEGO replacement will need
to be found.

Well, I am certainly leaning towards 9V due to several factors: cost,
availabilty and general ease of operation among them. Thanks to all for your

Henry

P.S. If I did get 4561, it would be purely for parts. My first love is freight
trains! And the passenger trains I like are the older ones. Seems I need to
stock up on basic parts and get to building...