 Trains / 12635
Re: what is the use of a caboose?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 19:28:34 GMT

Dave Low wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Frank Filz writes:

And trolley buses still operate in Boston (I'm curious, is there any
city which has a greater variety of mass transit systems? About the only
thing Boston doesn't have is a monorail.

Sydney has (in rough order of actual usefulness):
conventional bus,
heavy rail (suburban and interurban trains),
ferries (various conventional and catamarans),
light rail (trams recently re-established on the outskirts of the CBD),
and a monorail. The latter two are pretty much for tourists and advertising.
What are we missing out on?

Ok, let's see if I can list all the types Boston has (I am including
some types Sydney certainly has):

subway
light rail (both above and underground)
(subway and light rail above ground run both on dedicated right of way
and in the median)
surburban rail (coaches pulled by diesels)
EL (only a tiny bit left)
bus (local public, private express [for example shuttles from the
airport to suburban parking lots], long distance [Greyhound etc])
trolley bus
ferries
continental rail (Amtrak)
air (both comuter and regular)

Boston no longer operates:

interurban (RDC)
trolley (both electric and horse powered - no cable car though)

I'm sure I'm missing some things.

All of the above run in regular commuter service.

The primary area where Boston has an astounding diversity is that it has
(or has had) just about every type of rail which has been used to serve
metropolitan areas (no, no bullet trains, but then you don't usually
take those to go across the river or something). I think monorail is
about the only main type of rail that Boston has not had in that type of
capacity.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com