 Trains / 12670
Re: what is the use of a caboose?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 17:23:02 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
Can you comment on what ideas on the new sets were borrowed from the MOC's >that
you (all of you) brought? I noticed that the Caboose and the Coach are the >first
train cars to feature town doors. Not really a new idea, but our MOC's started
using town doors a while ago, whereas this is the first time I have seen them >on
a LEGO set.

That's a tough question and one I am not sure is a fruitful vein to mine.
Suppose I convince myself that the log flat looks a lot like my bulkhead
flat? (it doesn't, to me, anyway but suppose) What then?

I am just glad that things are improving. Since I've borrowed a technique or
two from TLC I am ok with them borrowing a technique here and there too. Now
if they made one of my designs outright that would be different.

I understand why you wouldn't want to comment, but I just thought it was a neat
that a LEGO designer might get ideas from LEGO fanatics. If the community knew
what MOC's were brought to the summit, then we(I) could speculate in private or
in public, but since we don't know what MOC's were brought to the meeting we
cannot see how the AFOL community may or may not be influcing LEGO directly.

Anyway, I asked because I thought it was neat that a LEGO set could be
influenced by AFOL models. If someone convinces himself that his car looks like
one of LEGO's cars, or if LEGO used a technique that was original[1] to a
person's model then that person might feel some pride because his model
influenced a product made by the LEGO company. It doesn't have to amount to
anything other than a warm fuzzy feeling. It doesn't have to amount to more than
a vicarious warm fuzzy feeling.[2]

In the end, everything we talk about here could end in a "why talk about that"
or "a what then". The answer is usually "why not" or "nothing". People here have
spent a great deal of time talking about the train summit, but why? Just
because. OK, so a bunch of people went to a train summit where they talked about
trains. Why do we care? Because we (the uninvited[3]) are living vicariously
through the invited. LEGO had a conference with Train AFOL's, cool. I didn't go,
but train AFOLs that I write to and exchange ideas with went. By the associative
property of attendance[4] I went too. Cool. Or when someone copies a model or a
technique from someone else. What comes out of discussing it...nothing except
the person being copied gets a warm fuzzy feeling because he is being copied.

Chris

[1] Is anything really original? Nonetheless, I hope you know what I mean by
using original here.

[2] If so and so's technique is used by LEGO then so and so may get a warm fuzzy
feeling and I might think it is cool that a technique pioneered by someone I
almost know was being used by LEGO.

[3] I am not trying to be snide by adding the uninvited to the sentence, just
trying to clarify to which group of people the "we" refers.

[4] I learned this one from my students. I am friends with Bob, and Bob went to
class; therefore by the associative property of attendance, I went to class. It
is not quite the same as going yourself, but there is a connection.

--
See some of my LEGO creations at http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/