 Trains / 12611
Re: what is the use of a caboose?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:08:03 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

"Christopher Masi" <cmasi@cmasi.chem.tulane.edu> wrote in message news:3B5E4219.79B21C2@cmasi.chem.tulane.edu...

The best reason to build a caboose is because a caboose is a classic and
romanticized part of trains. Everyone loves a caboose.

But not outside the USA where we don't have them.

You don't love cabooses? How weird. I suppose you hate trolleys too ;)

I didn't say I don't love them.  They are a quaint design.
What I was pointing out is that outside of the USA they are not a classic and romaniticized part of trains.
Because we don't have them.
The guard's van that serves a similar purpose in the UK was never romaniticized as far as I know or considered a
classic.

And as for trolleys.
Well we have shopping trolleys in supermarkets (shopping cart?)
And we have (or had) trolley buses - these were electric powered passenger bus with overhead power supply - dont run on
rails (normal bus) , not considered part of train.
Though I see these were popular in the US as well - e.g.  http://www.erha.org/latl.htm
Or did you mean trams?

Tram, There's a Tram less then a mile from were I live, and it has no over
head power supply, and runs on 3 (yes 3) rail, the middle being a gear, to
climb a steep grade (like 15% grade, or something).  If Larry reads this he
may know what i'm talking about i think it was there the last time he was
here for the MTU reunion thing.
Josh

Or something else entirely?

If it is a trolley bus, then I do love trolley buses.
Having lived in a couple of the last towns in the UK to run them (Walsall and Bournemouth). Are they still in Blackpool?
Damned fine quite, pollution free solution that was sacrificed in the name of 'progress'.
And now too expensive an infrastructure to resurrect.
Pity.

regards
lawrence