 Trains / 12722
Re: what is the use of a caboose?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 10:51:39 GMT

Further to the caboose debate, here is a british guards van

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/wagons/moreimages/b955037.jpg

this is one of the last design that British Railways (as it was then), built
in the sixties. They were used to provide extra braking in the days before
wagons had automatic air brakes. Since then the introduction of full
coninuous air brakes has gradually rendered them superfluous (the last
unbraked trains ran in the early nineties) since then they have been used
for engineers trains as barrier wagons for trains with dangerous loads and
for nuclear flask trains etc.

Nuclear flask wagon (i don't know is you have these in the US)

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/wagons/images/550028.jpg

Tim David

thanks to Wagons on the Web for the links.