 Trains / 12613
Re: what is the use of a caboose?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:53:05 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Alexander Johnston writes:
Primary uses were:

- Provide a place for the conductor and brakeman to ride
- Provide an office for the conductor to do his paperwork
- Provide a place to cary various things neccessary to maintenance and
operation of the train
- Provide a place to hang lamps to mark the end of the train
- Provide a place where the train can be watched for maintenance
problems (especially "hot boxes" - situations where the bearings on the
cars wheels overheat and ignite the lubricant)

In these days of airbrakes, fewer hot box problems (and I think some
automated detection of problems), and other conveniences, the caboose
hase been replaced by a box with a flashing light stuck onto the last
car in the train.

I'm curious.  Does ANYONE use cabooses anymore?  The last time I remember
seeing a caboose on a train was sometime in the early 90s.

At the time I lived right next to a series of railroad tracks, one right
next to the other.  Only around 50 or 60 feet of marsh land was between the
very end of my backyard and the closest track.  You would think that living
so close to a railroad would be really noisey, but it wasn't believe it or
not.  I was very young at the time.  I always thought of it as my personnal
full scale train set.  :-)  Almost all of the conductors would wave to me as
they were passing by.  The tracks were owned by Berlington

Burlington (early 90's Burlington Northern, Now Burlington Northern Santa Fe)...

Railroad, however
I would occasionally see Amtrak passenger trains run by the tracks.  My
freinds and I would sometimes throw rocks into the moving box cars that had
its doors open.  There was also this automated light tower on the tracks.
Whenever, it was on, it would illuminate all of the tracks so conductors can
see if the tracks in front of them had been tampered with.  The lights would
only come on when trains transporting hazardous material was coming through.

Now that I think about it.  I kind of miss living so close to the railroads.
It was the primary reason why I got into trains.  *sniff*  I'm gonna go cry
now.  While I do that, will one of you design and build an automated light
tower for a railroad? :-)

I like the story though, I wish I lived that close...
Last time I saw a caboose was 3 weeks ago, parked on a spur with a rusty
older snow plow (in a kinda GN color sceme).  It was a vintage Soo Line
caboose, rusty and looking like it was ready to "die".  I should have taken
a picture.

Josh