 Trains / 12605
Re: what is the use of a caboose?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:57:29 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Frank Buiting writes:

But not outside the USA where we don't have them.

We do have Guard's Vans though.
Similar function, but usually a different design.

They too have disappeared.
So have the Guards!

Funny, today I received the caboose set and on the bill it says: "10014
Guard's Van". So there you have it!

-Frank

PHEW!  I'd gone into a bit of a panic the last day or two ... as my WWII German
train nears completion, I decided to add a caboose-like car because I was
fascinated by the interior detailing that could be added - and then this topic
comes along, and suddenly I fear that the caboose, as enticing as it is, might
not be Euro enough to have made it onto a 1930s train.  But now, with the
Guard's Van, the plan is back (ahem) on track.

So lessee - that makes the engine, tender, railgun, freight car I, flatbed,
88mm AA car, barracks car, officer's car, HQ/radio car, freight car II, and ...
guard's van.

As an aside, has anyone (or could someone) take some pictures of (or scan the
instructions of) the interior of the 10014 caboose?  I've heard some loud
praise about the detailing, and I'd love to be able to see LEGO's solutions to
this.  Thanks in advance!

shaun