 Trains / 12815
Re: Flywheels in LU (was Re: what is the use of a caboose?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 13:04:59 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Tim David writes:

On similar lines London Underground has a proposal for (and is testing) a
scheme using flywheels mounted trackside. The principle is that current
generated by braking trains (back EMF?) drive the flywheels and accelerating
trains use the power. This reduces LU's total power consumption, spreads the
peak loadings on the sub-stations, helps reduce wear on brakes and reduces
heat build in the tunnels (which saves money in heat extraction) up from
braking.

Why flywheels? Why not just put the power back into the mains? (regenerative
braking) US electric locos do this, I believe...

In this case the flywheels seem to add a layer of complexity (and a source
of loss) that isn't needed unless I am missing something. It would be a neat
model though!

I thought they were using flywheels in diesels, but I couldn't find too
much. Most of the braking power though is supplied not by charging a
battery, but by dissipating the energy through resistors (some portion
of those cooling fans are actually for the dynamic braking restive load,
not to cool the engine).

Hmm, interesting find - an SD40 operator's manual:

http://gelwood.railfan.net/manual/sd40-man.html

And here's a paper on use of flywheel energy storage for high speed
trains:

http://www.ee.uidaho.edu/trainnet/reports/interim/html/intrep8.htm

--
Frank Filz