 Trains / 12819
Re: Flywheels in LU (was Re: what is the use of a caboose?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 14:16:11 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Frank Filz writes:

I thought they were using flywheels in diesels, but I couldn't find too
much.

I hadn't heard of ANYONE doing this for any serious energy storage (most
reciprocating engines use flywheels to smooth out the motion generated, of
course, but this would be different). Do you have any info on where you
heard this?

Most of the braking power though is supplied not by charging a
battery, but by dissipating the energy through resistors (some portion
of those cooling fans are actually for the dynamic braking restive load,
not to cool the engine).

Some diesels use dynamic (generated current from the traction motors is
dissipated through large resistors) braking, some don't... it depends on how
much braking is expected to be needed.

Hmm, interesting find - an SD40 operator's manual:

http://gelwood.railfan.net/manual/sd40-man.html

Cool!