 Star Wars / 9723
Re: Reality == fiction?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 21:37:36 GMT

Todd kind of backpedaled from his statement that he hates JarJar. I don't
think he should have! I hate JarJar too.

He should have if that's how he feels.  And really, he didn't backpedal so
much as clarify.  And why do you hate JarJar?
[...]
No.  He's annoying.  That's all.  I believe that if you (any of you, not
just Lar) "despise" Jar-Jar, then maybe you need to get out more or seek
strong lithium treatment.  (Oops, sorry, there I go with my amature mental
health care again.)  Jar Jar is not despicable, if anyone is (and I don't
advocate this stance...at least not for this reason), it's Lucas.
[...]

Aha!  Thanks for writing that!  I feel that while I hate Jar-Jar, I don't
despise him.  (Isn't that a strange contradiction?)

Now I know how to say this:  What I hate isn't Jar-Jar per se, but the fact
that a character like Jar-Jar, which I find annoying to the point of being
painful, appeared as a major character in a Star Wars movie.  Prior to TPM,
my mental image of what "a Star Wars movie" is did not include characters
like JJB.  Now, after TPM, my mental image of what "a Star Wars movie" is
has been degraded, and I find that very sad.  I can not expect Episode II
to be as enjoyable to me as any of Episode IV-VI were.  Perhaps by 2002, I
can mature enough to ignore JJB or not let him bother me.

--Todd