 Robotics / RCX / legOS / *1059 (-100)
  Re: Very strange problems

(...) That is really bad news. Since we are writing a genetic programming system with six RCXs involved that communicate with each other, the programs tend to get pretty long. Often things fail. Right now I have the problem that if I save a program (...) (24 years ago, 21-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Very strange problems

(...) As far as I can tell, legOS has some really strange bugs. I've learned to take it for granted that some programs (without warning) will just crash and lock up the machine. This is unfortunate, but I've never found a pattern to them so there is (...) (24 years ago, 21-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: lnp communication question

(...) lnp does a checksum and throws away bad data. I think it is a 1 byte checksum so 1 out of 256 errors gets through anyway. There is no retry so timeout and retry has to be handled by some higher level code. (24 years ago, 21-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Very strange problems

Hi! I am experiencing some very strange problems when programming my RCX. Sometimes (too often) the RCX just locks up when I run my program and I have to remove the batteries and reload the firmware. I have now found that very small changes in my (...) (24 years ago, 21-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  arbitrary motor code

Did anyone ever write the wrapper to allow motor_dir(motor_label x, MotorDirection dir) or some such? There was a variant of it way, way back (0.1.5?) but I don't see anything like it in the current CVS code. Anyone? Anyone? -Luis ---...--- "Going (...) (24 years ago, 20-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: lnp communication question

(...) Ok, this brings up more questions :). I have never had any problems with errors when sending messages. Sometimes the message is not recieved but when it is, I have never seen any errors in the transmission. Am I missing your point? Second, (...) (24 years ago, 20-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  DJGPP GNU cross compiler tools

It looks like my ISP has changed their policy about anonymous ftp and now allow it. I've placed the DJGPP port of the GNU tools on my website here: (URL) It's a 5 meg download. Please let me know if you have any problems downloading this file. I (...) (24 years ago, 19-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: We need a FULL install of everything!

On Thu, 18 May 2000 18:00:11 GMT, "Matt McDevitt" <maktos@maktos.com> wrote: <snip> I aggree fully with your statement Matt. I've tried to install LegOS several times and i always failed because of lack of time (and of course lack of knowledge <s>). (...) (24 years ago, 19-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Does anyone have Spirit.OCX?

You can download it at www.legomindstorms.com. Just click look for RCX SDK. "Matt McDevitt" <maktos@maktos.com> wrote in message news:Furpv7.JMH@lugnet.com... (...) (24 years ago, 18-May-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Does anyone have Spirit.OCX?

Could someone send me the file SPIRIT.OCX ? Matt maktos@maktos.com (24 years ago, 18-May-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  We need a FULL install of everything!

In response to your e-mail message: I realize it's *technically* better from a logistics standpoint to require people to download everything seperately, so they'll get the "absolute" latest version. However, I think that you have to give a little (...) (24 years ago, 18-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: New Windows HOWTO

I seem to have missed this message. :( If someone would like to do it, great, elsewise I may be doing something similar this weekend. Let me know, Rossz... Luis (...) ---...--- "Going to California with an aching in my heart. Someone told me there's (...) (24 years ago, 18-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: HOWTO going down

Like I said later, they are all at (URL) bad in forgetting the ~louie earlier) Since it is nearly 100M at this point (including all the various compilers and such) I think we'll just leave it there, until I can move it to sourceforge (which'll (...) (24 years ago, 18-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: New Windows HOWTO

Why doesn't someone do all this, and put it all in a big ZIP file? Better yet, someone could make an "install" so it would be a big self-extracting EXE. Matt Rossz V$BaN(Bos-Wentworth wrote in message ... (...) you (...) preserves (...) (...) (24 years ago, 18-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Can't get Windows compiler!

Everything is now at (URL) for the dead links, but I had to move out of my dorm :( Luis (...) ---...--- "Going to California with an aching in my heart. Someone told me there's a girl out there with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair." -Led (...) (24 years ago, 18-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: HOWTO going down

I'll put them up on Maktos.com's server! Just e-mail them to me. I'll send you the link when they're uploaded. Matt Luis Villa wrote in message ... (...) (24 years ago, 18-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)

  Can't get Windows compiler!

The main LegOS site has some MAJOR dead links! Does anyone have a mirror I could use? I need the Windows version of the cross compiler, etc. A LOT of links were dead...probly because it was a university server, and they all go down for the summer. (...) (24 years ago, 18-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: local variables

(...) This is completely true and is basically a feature of the C language. Globals aren't technically "initialized" at all. They are just loaded as part of the image. You could consider that they are initialized at compile time. On a workstation OS (...) (24 years ago, 17-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: lnp communication question

Remember the medium... cheap IR basically stinks for transmission. You get transients from the lights in your room, the outdoors, yadda, yadda. Luis (wishing for RF like the Europeans get ;) (...) ---...--- "Going to California with an aching in my (...) (24 years ago, 17-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: lnp communication question

(...) This suprises me. I have never heard of such high packet losses. How does dll do this? With some kind of ack and retry mechanism? dll seems reliable. Of course dll is going in the other direction. (24 years ago, 17-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: lnp communication question

You just pass an array and give the length, to send it. In theory you can send packets with a size up to 255 bytes (look in this group, the info is in here somewhere), but sending 1 byte has a packet loss of aprox. 1% and 4 bytes aprox. 10%, over (...) (24 years ago, 17-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: local variables

(...) I think you're confusing the issue a little bit. LegOS only initializes GLOBAL variables when the program is loaded. So, for example, a global variable declared like: int foo = 4; Will only be initialized to 4 when the program is loaded. If (...) (24 years ago, 17-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  local variables

Hi! I read that legOS only declared varibles the first time the program is run. Does this mean I cannot use local variables. I have loops in different functions using 'i' as looping variable, which is locally declared. Should I avoid this? Tobias (24 years ago, 16-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: lnp communication question

(...) So the length-argument tells lnp_integrity_write how many bytes to send? Doesn't that mean that it would be possible to send an array consisting of many integers, for example? How would this be done? (...) We plan to build a six-legged lego (...) (24 years ago, 16-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  winlegos compiler problem

I am trying out the lnp functionality with addressing and such, and of course I had to recompile the legos kernel. That, in itself, seemed to go without a hitch, but when I later tried to compile one of the demo programs, this is what I got. djecho (...) (24 years ago, 16-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: lnp communication question

Hello Tobias, (...) Why do you think there's only 1 byte that can be sent? If your data buffer is longer, bytes are sent one-by-one serially in a packet... (...) look into lnp.c and you will see that both lnp_integrity_xxx and lnp_addressing_xxx are (...) (24 years ago, 15-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  due to popular demand

The HOWTO and other legOS archives will be available (until I get it to sourceforge) at (URL) for the people who wrote and volunteered to serve it- the archives now total something like ~100 meg (several different copies of compilers are in there) (...) (24 years ago, 15-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  lnp communication question

Hi! When using lnp_integrity_write(&data, length), what is the length argument used for? The data can only be one byte long if I understand it correctly. Can I use the length argument to send an additional byte of information? Is there anyway I can (...) (24 years ago, 14-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: It's time to release some patches for LegOS 0.2.4

"Harald Mährer" <hmaehrer@debis.com> wrote in message news:391bcf0d.129529...net.com... (...) (URL) - on my NT i have more than one (logical) drive to keep system, (...) I have cygnwin in my NT partion and legOS in another one. No problem at all. I (...) (24 years ago, 13-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: HOWTO going down

One other thing- this will of course mean that the various other files accessible at arthurdent.dorm.duke.edu will be unavailable. I will try to move as many of these as possible to legOS.sourceforge.net before I lose my ethernet connection, but I'm (...) (24 years ago, 13-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)

  HOWTO going down

I'm taking down the HOWTO for the next couple of weeks while I move out of my dorm and back home for the summer. When it comes back up (two weeks, three at the most) it'll be up to date (0.2.4!) and on legOS.sourceforge.net (probably /HOWTO/). Just (...) (24 years ago, 13-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)

  rcx remote for video (LANC or IR)

did anyone try to use the rcx as a controller for camcorders either using LA NC (Control-S) or Ir ? (24 years ago, 13-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: It's time to release some patches for LegOS 0.2.4

(...) Hi all. So far, i've got the 0.2.3.1 Version running on my laptop (W95) but not on my desktop (WIN NT). Questions remaining - where do i find the 0.2.4 version? I followed the ftp link on the cvs server to find 0.2.3 but where's 0.2.4? - on my (...) (24 years ago, 12-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Has anyone used lnpd succesfully?

(...) Of course, but also currently not very available. But i still would like to fix this problem, or at least find the reason. Sporadically, i'm working or better say thinking about an enhanced version of lnpd, but i think this doesn't make much (...) (24 years ago, 4-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: make error in Linux build for LegOS 0.2.4

(...) This was one of the first things that I tried but it complained about other tools it couldn't find. It's been a while but I think it had pass1 in the name. Nothing in my bin directory seemed to match. Frankly I stopped working on it since I (...) (24 years ago, 4-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

Steve morris <smorris@nexen.com> wrote in message news:390EC1B5.416273...xen.com... (...) c++.cpp. The (...) I must have an (...) the cross tools. (...) Try changing the references from <h8...>g++ to <h8...>gpp. Rossz (24 years ago, 4-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: make error in Linux build for LegOS 0.2.4

(...) /root/legos_new/legOS. (...) "s/legOS.*/legOS/i") which ends up (...) it out doesn't (...) sed support (...) something like: (...) I've modified in: export LEGOS_ROOT=$(shell pwd | sed -e "s/\\(.*\\)LegOS.*/\1legOS/i")/ that should works. (...) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Windows communication to the RCX

Hello all, after playing a bit with Manuel's application, I ended with a console Win32 application to send/receive LNP messages. It's more simple and ready to be used in combination with other applications. However, it doesn't use overalapped I/O (...) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: make error in Linux build for LegOS 0.2.4

(...) I tried that already. I since tried to interpret the output of "make -d" and think I found it. The problem is in the definition of LEGOS_ROOT. I am in /root/legos_new/legOS. In Makefile.common it is calculated with (pwd | sed -e (...) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

"Steve morris" <smorris@nexen.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:390E39A3.D49806...xen.com... (...) Have you tried using: $ make clean $ make realclean $ make depend I suspect that you miss .depend files (but I'm not sure). Bye, Paolo. --- Anyone (...) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  make error in Linux build for LegOS 0.2.4

I haven't spent much time analyzing this yet but here is the log. This seems familar somehow but I can't remember why. I checked my 0.2.3 area and it builds fine. I've been diff'ing makefiles but nothing leaps out so far. Note that I do make twice. (...) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  It's time to release some patches for LegOS 0.2.4

I've just released on legos.sourceforge.net my patches for LegOS. I was waiting for some life signal from Marcus. In absence of those signals, I assume that all is right... ;-) Forgive me if I broke down something for Linux people, but if I didn't (...) (24 years ago, 1-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Makefile question

(...) I have added random number generators to either of the c library, or to the float library (v0.2.3, on Linux). What I did was cd to the lib/c (say) directory, and deposit my source files there. I then edited the Makefile in this directory, and (...) (24 years ago, 28-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Has anyone used lnpd succesfully?

Yes. I have used it successfully, though not always... In my case it seems to be a problem with the uart 16550A. It does not switch to low lattency mode correctly making the tower blind to the RCX. I circumvented the problem setting the UART type as (...) (24 years ago, 28-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Has anyone used lnpd succesfully?

(...) Are there known conditions where lnpd works and doesn't work? Are there versions of LegOS which support it better? Mostly I wish I had at least one report of success that would suggest that there is hope at the end of my tunnel. I cannot do my (...) (24 years ago, 27-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: lnptest gives collision errors. Sigh...

(...) I guess there is no hope. I found a long thread here with someone else who had a collision problem . I applied the patch to transmitter.c mentioned in that thread with the same result. I downloaded lnpd.static from arthurdent. Same result. I (...) (24 years ago, 27-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  lnptest gives collision errors

I'm trying to use lnpd. First I'm trying to get the test app working o - installed the patch and reloaded the firmware. o - downloaded the rcx version of lnptest with dll (I can't get dllx to work) o - do tke appropriate setserial command o - start (...) (24 years ago, 25-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Desire Rack & Pinion design

Can anyone direct me to some decent pictures of a rack & pinion steering system? Thanks. Rossz (24 years ago, 24-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: task switching strategy?

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Steve Morris wrote: <snip lots of discussion, some of which I understand now and the rest of which will probably make more sense after I take OS next semester.> (...) I think the big thing is that virtually no one write CPU (...) (24 years ago, 22-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  task switching strategy?

I've been wandering through the kernal comparing it to similar kernals I have known or written, trying to understand the design choices. It appears that task are only switched at the 1ms timer interrupt and at yield() function call. yield() is only (...) (24 years ago, 21-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Makefile question

I finally have a project that's large enough and well-enough organized that I have two .c files. (One holds fixed-point math routines.) Now, the README file states "If you need more source files, add them in the Makefile." My question is, what and (...) (24 years ago, 21-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  weird legos 0.23 problems

I post this message without much investigation but I am confident I wouldn't find this issue easily. I have compiled code that was running fine on the rcx of approaching 4k size. unfortunately my short term memory failed / I didn't commit my work to (...) (24 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Windows communication to the RCX

Hello Manuel, Thanks for this post, this is exactly what we need! Would you, please, send us your Windows and RCX codes that handle the communication? We tried to use lnpd on Linux, but the test example program seems to not work properly and I (...) (24 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  (canceled)

  brake broke?

I'm having trouble with braking (as opposed to free-wheeling) motors. When I use motor_a_dir(brake), the motor brakes OK, but cannot be restarted. Subsequent motor_a_dir(fwd/rev) calls have no affect, the motor stays braked. I can tell this by (...) (24 years ago, 18-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Religious wars

(...) I have one more suggestion, that I totally didn't think of the first time around: pico. ftp://ftp.cac.washin...-bin.linux It is decidedly unsexy, but very usable- it is what the lowest level CS courses here at Duke use- courses not designed (...) (24 years ago, 16-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Religious wars

(...) If you need something that works well (I think that almost only on Linux) and your are familiar to Wordstar keys (^KX, ^KD ....)(AKA as TurboC, Pascal...) use joe (Joe's Own Editor) (...) 4what its worth: My fave is Gvim, vi with a gui and (...) (24 years ago, 16-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: no rule to make target Main.o

(...) Yep, You took a DOS format makefile. Unix uses \n for line ends, DOS \r\n. When unix sees the DOS form, it thinks you mean 'ir_rover^M' ^M, Ctrl-M is the unix way of expressing \r. To fix it, load the filee into vi. Type the following (...) (24 years ago, 16-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Function list and Command List for LegOS 0.2.3 (Long Post...)

Hi All, I am eagerly awaiting the full documentation for 0.2.3, in the mean time, I culled together some info from the readme files for 0.2.3, looking through some of the source files and the old 0.1.7 documentation that is on line. I find it (...) (24 years ago, 16-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  problems with random function for WinLegOS

hy !!! If have compilerproblems with random-function " undefined reference". i use kernel 0.2.3 If had read something about this problem but any solution are for cygwin or linux. i hope anyone can help me marc (24 years ago, 12-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Gdb & LegOS. Progress made & help wanted

Hi All: I've been trying to get gdb going with legOS for some time now. I've made some progress, but for various reasons, I'm now stuck. I thought I'd post this plea for help. Check this page: (URL) then email me or post a reply with your ideas. (...) (24 years ago, 12-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  no rule to make target Main.o

I just unzipped emulegos_unix.zip to my RedHat 6.x system. I typed: export RCX_SOURCE=ir-rover make and got: make: *** No rule to make target `Main.o', needed by 'ir-rover^M'. Stop. Anyone know what I failed to do? (24 years ago, 12-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Another makefile suggestion

This particular change would be useful in the lib directories. Instead of using this: SOURCES=memset.c strcmp.c ..... etc. Use this: SOURCES := $(wildcard *.c) Note the use of ':=', not '='. This will pick up ALL .c files in the current directory. (...) (24 years ago, 9-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Calling ROM from libc

Hi all. This is just a quick moral question. I noticed that the RCX ROM has a copy memory routine (0x042a). I've modified my memcpy.s to use this: _memcpy: push r0 mov.w r1,r0 add.w r2,r1 pop r2 jmp @ mem_copy .end And added mem_copy=0x042a to (...) (24 years ago, 8-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Python extension for lnp - take 2

(...) growing depth of languages we can all use with legOS. -Luis ---...--- "As an engineer, it's important to look yourself in the eye in the mirror every morning, and remind yourself that 'marketing is everything,' and engineering doesn't matter a (...) (24 years ago, 6-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Python extension for lnp - take 2

I'd like to announce a Python extension for lnp. This runs on Linux and lets you use the python scripting language to communicate with a legOS application. See (URL) for more details. If you don't know what python is, look here: (URL) (24 years ago, 6-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Python extension for lnp

I'd like to announce a Python extension for lnp. This runs on Linux and lets you use the python scripting language to communicate with a legOS application. See (URL) for more details. If you don't know what python is, look here: (URL) (24 years ago, 6-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  problems to compile legOS under Win98

Hi I hope you can and want help me. I get the windows intruction from (URL) for LegOS-0.2.2 but not winlegos.exe I do all thinks in this instruction but if i compile the LEGOS for the first time i have 2 erros. 3.o floatsisf.o cmpsf2.o fixsfsi.o (...) (24 years ago, 5-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Windows communication to the RCX

Hi Manuel, (...) Very good! (...) Are you talking about source code? I would be *very* interested in something like that! ;) Thanks in advance, Antonio Ianiero (24 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Religious wars

At 19:55 01/04/00 +0000, you wrote: >I need to pick a Linux editor for legOS programming. emacs and vi suck big >time. Anyone have a recommendation? It can not be X windows based as I >have not been able to get my video card configured correctly. (...) (24 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LNP problems detected

Who is maintaining the LNP code right now? Not the stuff in the kernel, but the desktop tools? It'd be great if we could wrap that up into a package and put the source into CVS. That way, it might be easier for someone like Manuel to hack in the (...) (24 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  LNP problems detected

A problem appeared when trying to sent the value 16. The LNP protocal makes the folowing string F0011000 I couldnt receive in my computer the final caracter the 0. This can be a problem. Another problem, this one alowed by the protocol is the (...) (24 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Windows communication to the RCX

I made a Visual C++ 5.0 application to talk to the RCX. If someone his interested I can give it. My demo sample is a remote controler to a robot with differential drive. I am using WinlegOS and I would like to contribut with this application to new (...) (24 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  gcc 2.95.2 8?(

First, I must apologise for posting the wrong URL to my update. It's actually at (URL) 8?/ OK. I bit the bullet & installed egcs 1.1.2 as well. I've confirmed two things: 1. My memcpy/memset update doesn't break under egcs, and 2. gcc 2.95.2 causes (...) (24 years ago, 3-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: 0.2.4 coming?

(...) I suppose you could call what is in CVS at sourceforge 0.2.4, especially after someone adds in Ross's patches, 0.2.4. The advantage of CVS is that we can now all get /the/ most up-to-date version of legOS. The disadvantage is that what you are (...) (24 years ago, 2-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  0.2.4 coming?

is 0.2.4 available yet? any clues? (24 years ago, 2-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Religious wars

(...) :s/emacs/vi/ Indeed, you asked for it ;) Eddie C. Dost ecd@skynet.be (24 years ago, 2-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: memcpy patch for gcc 2.95.2 wanted

(...) I've posted an update which includes memcpy.s, memset.s (even though this didn't seem to cause a problem, I thought best to keep things consistent) and Makefile (so it doesn't delete *.s for target clean). Just un-tar it to your $LEGOS_HOME. (...) (24 years ago, 2-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE: Religious wars

(...) Right, and in terminal mode it does still have some advantages over emacs. However, it loses the pulldown menus- which, for the newbie, are the primary advantage. -Luis (...) ---...--- "As an engineer, it's important to look yourself in the (...) (24 years ago, 1-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE: Religious wars

XEmacs is great AND despite what everyone thinks, you DO NOT NEED X to run it. It automatically knows whether to do terminal or X. Ram (...) (URL) for text editors. There aren't many out there that aren't X-based, since those people who prefer (...) (24 years ago, 1-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Religious wars

Not emacs? And not X based? Oof. That's a tough one. My suggestions, in order. : 1) Fix your X configuration and run X and Xemacs. What card do you run? I may be able to help, or at least know where to point you. And, Xemacs has nice pull-down menus (...) (24 years ago, 1-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Religious wars

(...) Use emacs. I don't care that you think it sucks ... you asked for religious wars. :-) Cheers, Ben. -- (URL) (24 years ago, 1-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Religious wars

I need to pick a Linux editor for legOS programming. emacs and vi suck big time. Anyone have a recommendation? It can not be X windows based as I have not been able to get my video card configured correctly. Under Windows, I prefer using UltraEdit. (...) (24 years ago, 1-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Linux vs. Windows 95

I just installed SuSE Linux 6.3 so that I can do some comparison tests between the different legOS development environments (I told my wife I needed to learn Linux to keep pace with the computer industry, though I don't think she believed me for a (...) (24 years ago, 1-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: How do I test this thing?

(...) The HOWTO was originally written as part of a class related project. I've recently found another project that will again give me time to work on it, so hopefully I won't need too much help. But stick around- this list will certainly be where I (...) (24 years ago, 1-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: How do I test this thing?

Luis, No probs. I should have looked there first 8?) If you need something done, I'd be happy to document my experimentation, and mail it to you to include in the HOWTO. I also read on the NG that gcc 2.95.2 has a bit of a problem in some of the (...) (25 years ago, 1-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: How do I test this thing?

Ross- My deepest apologies, but the HOWTO is sadly out of date- it refers to version 0.1.7 of the software, which is similar in many ways but drastically different in the makefile system. I'd suggest looking through the README file for better (...) (25 years ago, 1-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  How do I test this thing?

Hi, all. Well, just spent the best part of the morning downloading & compiling the h8300 cross-compiler. All worked perfectly, as per the instructions in the HOWTO. (I tried the binaries first, but was getting strange errors when I tried to compile (...) (25 years ago, 1-Apr-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: makelx issues

Kajim schrieb: (...) Depending on your configuration, there may or may not be certain error messages when building the compiler. They mostly deal with missing system libraries, which doesn't avail to much - legOS has its own libraries. (...) This (...) (25 years ago, 31-Mar-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  makelx issues

Sorry to post configuration issues again; however, I have I beleive sucessfully compiled the new egcs 1.1.2[altho the self tests at the end fail...] and can begin to compile legOS 0.2.3 but makelx segfaults every time it is run... The only guess I (...) (25 years ago, 31-Mar-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Problems reading active sensors with legos? Is there a solution?

I'm a bit confused with the reading of my light sensor with legOS. I'm getting values with a lot of "noise"... For example, reading the value for white, I'm getting values with a "noise" from 36 to 24 (raw) around the right value. Reading some post (...) (25 years ago, 30-Mar-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Installing LegOS -- compiler problems, SIGSEV

i'm attempting to compile the latest egcs-1.1.2 on my Linux roswell 2.2.12 #10 SMP Thu Nov 11 13:28:14 CST 1999 i586 unknown machine; however, I hit a rather odd problem when trying to compile the attached section of the makefile. I get a signal 11 (...) (25 years ago, 29-Mar-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: When the OS makes the difference

(...) path (...) 70cm/s (...) movie (...) one (...) rate. (...) pretty (...) line (...) not (...) sampling. (...) with (...) I guess you're right this time too :-) Thanks for having clarified the matter. (...) good (...) Paolo actually confessed he (...) (25 years ago, 28-Mar-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE: When the OS makes the difference

(...) <snip> (...) Alternative firmware is crucial to developing high-performance bots. The core sampling rate of the RCX firmware is once every 3 msec, which is pretty fast. I'm not sure of the max rate that legOS allows. At that rate, the line is (...) (25 years ago, 27-Mar-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE: When the OS makes the difference

(...) <snip> (...) Alternative firmware is crucial to developing high-performance bots. The core sampling rate of the RCX firmware is once every 3 msec, which is pretty fast. I'm not sure of the max rate that legOS allows. At that rate, the line is (...) (25 years ago, 27-Mar-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  When the OS makes the difference

Yesterday, Sunday 26th March, we had our 4th Italian Legofest. This time our traditional robotic contest was about line following, and 10 peopled compared their ideas, their knowledge and their ability running their robots for maximum speed on a 7m (...) (25 years ago, 27-Mar-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos) !

  Re: Battery life question

(...) I measured the RCX consumes about 33mA in ROM or Lego Firmware, around 26.5mA under LegOS (due to the sleep instruction in the idle task), and it will use 0.034mA when turned off. No matter how long you sleep in your task, the RCX will consume (...) (25 years ago, 26-Mar-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Battery life question

I searched through the archives and couldn't find anything that specifically addressed this question, so I figured I might as well ask. What would the expected battery life of the RCX be while simply sitting in a loop calling sleep with large (...) (25 years ago, 26-Mar-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: memcpy patch for gcc 2.95.2 wanted

(...) I don't know if Markus would approve, but it might be worthwhile to do this and put it in to CVS so that 0.2.4(?) would be compilable with 2.95.x. Does anyone have the time/skill to do this? Markus? Your two cents? -Luis ###...### Profanity is (...) (25 years ago, 26-Mar-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: memcpy patch for gcc 2.95.2 wanted

(...) IMHO it is better anyway to use pure assembly files when generating code like memcpy (which is completely in assembly here). Call them memcpy.S, and you won't have the problem of accidentially removing them. With this you can use 'c' style (...) (25 years ago, 26-Mar-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact