 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 976
975  |  977
Subject:
Linux vs. Windows 95
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 19:52:59 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I just installed SuSE Linux 6.3 so that I can do some comparison tests
between the different legOS development environments (I told my wife I
needed to learn Linux to keep pace with the computer industry, though I
don't think she believed me for a second).  My system is configured to be a
dual boot system, booting to Windows 95 by default, to Linux using a boot
floppy.

I'll skip describing the four days it took me to install Linux and get it
working, though I should mention that you should NOT try to boot a Linux
drive connected to a secondary IDE control.  It absolutely must be connected
to the primary control, but it has no problem being the slave drive.

After getting Linux up and running, I installed the legOS files and the
H8/300 compiler tools.  Running MAKE in the main legOS directory works
perfectly.  Because of problems building the utility programs (firmdl and
dll), this is not yet possible in the Windows environment.

I was never able to get firmdl3 to work in fast mode.  Without the -s switch
it always failed miserably.  The Linux version worked flawlessly.  What a
big difference in the time to download!  Now I know that the performance
problem was not the hardware.  I suspect we can come up with a Windows
specific version of firmdl that works directly with the serial device and is
able to get the same level of performance.  Windows is obviously screwing
things up.

Rossz