 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 982
Re: memcpy patch for gcc 2.95.2 wanted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 02:08:02 GMT

Luis Villa wrote:

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, Eddie C. Dost wrote:
On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, Les Smithson wrote:
I think the compiler was generating incorrect code. I'm no gcc expert, but the
asm macros looked OK to me, and besides, why should the macro work in one
compiler version & not the other?

Because there were some decisions made as to what "incorrect" macros were
and weren't by the egcs/gcc teams. For some time, this made compiling the
Linux kernel with the newest egcs a serious problem.

IMHO it is better anyway to use pure assembly files when generating
code like memcpy (which is completely in assembly here). Call them
memcpy.S, and you won't have the problem of accidentially removing
them. With this you can use 'c' style comments, as *.S -> *.o is run
through cpp by gcc first.

This doesn't work around all cases of possible inline assembly bugs/features
of gcc, but the most obvious cases can be caught. Also you know what to
expect in the file, not like now when all you see is assembler code when
opening a *.c file...

I don't know if Markus would approve, but it might be worthwhile to do
this and put it in to CVS so that 0.2.4(?) would be compilable with
2.95.x. Does anyone have the time/skill to do this? Markus? Your two cents?
-Luis

I've posted an update which includes memcpy.s, memset.s (even though
this didn't seem to cause a problem, I thought best to keep things
consistent) and Makefile (so it doesn't delete *.s for target clean).
Just un-tar it to your $LEGOS_HOME. You can delete memcpy.c & memset.c
if you feel the need...

You can get it at http://members.xoom.com/legos/update.tar.gz

I haven't tried it with egcs, so some of you using egcs may want to test
it, too. If it successfully works around the immediate problem, maybe it
can go into the CVS tree at some stage.

ROSCO

PS: I haven't done any major testing of the rest of LegOS to see what
other problems this (possible) bug may cause - but all seems to work OK
with just this small change.